Friday, June 29, 2007

Conviction is worthless unless...

“Conviction is worthless unless it is converted into conduct.” ~ Thomas Carlyle

“Whereas mysticism placed the emphasis on the journey inward, Luther stressed the importance of breaking out of the self into the service of others.”
~ Donald Bloesch, Essentials of Evangelical Theology, Vol. 2

Two good quotes from my quote book, which when woven together address the issue of solipsism. When our lives revolve around ourselves, we are missing the point of Christian faith, says Bloesch. And Carlyle's comment nudges us to make our walk keep up with our talk.

As Dylan has written:
"What good am I if I know and don't do,
If I see and don't say, if I look right through you
If I turn a deaf ear to the thunder in the sky
What good am I?
"What Good Am I? Oh Mercy, 1990

No comments:

Popular Posts