Wednesday, October 17, 2007

An Hour of Poetry for People Who Are Not Into It

A few years ago I was thinking of offering to do a poetry reading at Barnes and Noble called "An Hour of Poetry for People Who Are Not Into It" with the aim of sharing poems that connect, in the hopes of introducing people to some fun, thought provoking material which they are not familiar with because it is labelled "Poetry" and a lot of people simply think they do not LIKE poetry.
So, I made a list of my selections for that hour of entertainment and placed it in a folder on my desktop. Having come across it this morning, it seemed worth sharing. If you can find some of these, they will reward you. Or, if you be patient, I will share some of them on this blog over the next short space of days.

Billy Collins
(selections from Sailing Alone Around the Room)
Aristotle p. 132
Another Reason I Don't Keep a Gun in the House p. 3
Some Days p. 97

Hilaire Belloc
Matilda Who Told Lies and Was Burned

Rilke
(from The Selected Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke)
first sentence, page 91
The Panther p. 25
Autumn Day p 11 two versions
Sonnets to Orpheus 1.3 and II. 13

Dorothy Parker
Bric-A-Brac

Robert Browning
How They Brought the Good News from Ghent to Aix

Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Blackberries

Robert Frost
Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Eve

Ed Newman
Wisconsin Misty Morning
Bad Break
Hitchhiking Across Antarctica
High Upon the Wire

Cervantes
Poem from Don Quixote

Dale Wasserman
Lyrics of To Dream the Impossible Dream

Bob Dylan
Only a Pawn in Their Game
Hard Rain’s a-Gonna Fall
It’s Alright Ma (I’m Only Bleedin’)

One reason for sharing a night of poetry would be to share a few of my own poems with a wider audience. If you have interest, here is a link to a few of my early favorites which I have produced. http://www.enewman.biz/p-favos.html

No comments:

Popular Posts