Saturday, August 16, 2008

29 Lines from Crazy People

Occasionally people recommend movies to me that were never big hits but touch on some area of interest for me in one way or another. Not too long ago the film Crazy People was recommended to me and added to my list. It’s about an advertising executive and deals with ad copywriting. While watching the film, I wrote down a bit of the dialogue.

The film stars Dudley Moore, Darryl Hannah and Paul Reiser, among others. Yes, some of the language is a bit off color, and true, the film has not been highly rated by critics or even viewers. And admittedly it’s not a great film as far as great films go, but it does give an interesting take on the advertising scene. It also raises a few good questions about what advertising itself ought to be.

I remember when I first came to Duluth in 1986 seeking a job using my writing and creative talents. When I interviewed at one of the local television networks, an ad copywriter showed me a little bit of the challenge he was up against. In the course of an eight hour day, he was expected to come up with creative, compelling scripts all day long for a wide range of products, gadgets and gizmos. He had one hour for each product. I challenge anyone to come up with eight new TV commercials in one day for eight products or services. From nutcracker to tire iron to ice scraper to used appliance repair services, whatever gets thrown at you that day is yours to tackle, stuff and mount. I don’t recall his name, but I got the impression he himself was ready to be admitted to an institution.

In Crazy People, Moore is an ad copy writer who has apparently fallen to pieces. He's been placed in a mental institution. His last ad mockups, over the edge and outlandish, are inadvertently put into print and prove to be dramatically effective. This is the starting point of a long, winding road.
The film is actually a clever exploration about truth and lying. The ad agencies represent a culture of lying to, or misleading, the public. The tragic characters in the mental institution represent the myriad ways we lie to ourselves, lie about our circumstances, and avoid the truth. It's actually an interesting set up for addressing serious issues. Even when scenes are not working or come across as forced, there's still grain to chew on.

Anyways, as I was saying, I wrote some of the dialogue from the film while watching. Just for the heck of it, let’s make a game of this. Which of the following is NOT a line of dialogue from the film?

1. Relax. Settle in. Make yourself comfortable.
2. I know what this is. It’s group therapy. This is a mental institution.
3. Try to relax.
4. Great. Great… first a mental institution. Now rain.
5. Hi. I’m Cathy. I’m a patient here, too. Do you want to go to a support session?
6. Yeah. Yeah. I’ll need slippers. Blue.
7. The world is a mistake. Why don’t we all jump in a lake?
8. That’s George. He only says hello. It’s the only word he has an affection for.
9. We have someone new in the group today.
10. Who can give me an example of a feeling?
11. I feel sad, for Emory.
12. Emory, why do you think you’re here?
13. Well, I realized I was lying all the time. Lying in my work. Lying in my relationships. Lying to myself.
14. I have fears. I have fears of being in closed places. I have fears of being in open places.
15. I don’t like the woods, by the way. I think I have a fear of woods. I’ve always had a feeling the trees were displeased with me.
16. I never felt I could get in on the ground floor with the really appealing people.
17. I’m changing the subject now.
18. You’re the first person I’ve ever shared this place with.
19. It’s wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.
20. How can we be getting so romantic so fast without any courtship or anything?
21. I’m nuts.
22. You don’t have to admit that you’re ugly, sir.
23. Business experts agree this no nonsense approach appeals to a new breed of consumer that wants to be dealt with honestly.
24. Emory Leeson is an advertising genius. I want him back.
25. Your ads are a huge hit. I want to get you out of here.
26. The staff is so friendly, and mental health is important these days.
27. Come to New York. There were fewer murders last year.
28. Ask him about the ballet tickets.
29. They’re coming out of their shells for once. Something important has happened to these people.
30. Don't look at me like I'm lying to you.

To find out which line of dialogue above is not in this film you may have to watch it. Thanks for stopping by and checking in.

No comments:

Popular Posts