Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Are You Ready for the New Year? Do the Best You Can


It's finally here... 2014. Hard to believe since we all thought the world was going to end in 2012. (You can check out some of the humorous Tweets from the Mayan calendar drama.) You may have seen some of the spectacle that went into celebrating this passage of time yesterday. Astonishing.

I have no resolutions per se, but do have some goals for the upcoming year. When I was in high school I resolved one year not to eat chocolate. I had been eating chocolate cake every day at the school cafeteria, and seemed taken with the idea that chocolate was contributing to my acne problem. Adolescence is challenging enough even without pimples. By sheer will power I lasted till Halloween. I'm not sure it made any difference with regard to my complexion, but it felt like an achievement.

What are you hoping to achieve this year? Do you have a list of books you want to read? Places you want to see? People you want to meet? Goals you want to accomplish?

Here's something I've learned:

The race is not to the swift
or the battle to the strong,
nor does food come to the wise
or wealth to the brilliant
or favor to the learned;
but time and chance happen to them all.  ~Ecclesiastes 9:11

It's a rough and tumble world in many ways. The weather isn't the only thing that's unkind sometimes. As we march into the new year with our list of resolutions and pockets stuffed with dreams, let's also remember those who have been less fortunate. Maybe there's more we can do to help than we realize.

What do you think?

No comments:

Popular Posts