Sunday, June 25, 2017

Franconia Sculpture Park Is An Expanding Universe

Franconia Sculpture Park is one of the surprise discoveries we made in the late 90's. We were headed toward Taylor's Falls and off to the right there was a large field with large unusually-shaped sculptures planted here and there. Fifteen years ago we paid another visit to this intriguing place.

When I heard the the Duluth Art Institute's Amber White had left for Franconia it triggered a desire to return, which was doubly amplified by Christa Lawler's DNT article in late May. I was "in the neighborhood" recently so I took a brief self-guided tour of some of the structures on the North end of the park. It's 43 acres and I really didn't have a lot of time, but I saw plenty. And I like the price: free.












Taylor's Falls makes a nice day trip if you're seeking a place to go on a lazy day. It's beautiful down there. Franconia Sculpture Park is just another stimulating diversion, worth the time.

PARK POINT ART FAIR
Here in the Twin Ports it's day 2 of the Park Point Art Fair. If you were scared off yesterday by the forecast, let it be known that a 40% chance of rain actually means a 60% probability that it will not rain. Today's forecast has similar foreboding from 10 a.m. till noon. Don't worry about it.

* * * * 
Meantime, art goes on all around you. Get into it.

No comments: