Sunday, September 30, 2018

These Kids Have What It Takes:The Last Night of One Week Live

The Langertsons 
I remember my thirteenth birthday like it was yesterday. Or rather, I remember this one incident. I'm sure my family had a birthday cake and presents for me, but I have no recollection of that at all. Rather, as I look back, what stands out are two memories. First, Teddy Fiori asked Robin Christianson to go steady, and she said yes. The second memory, which occurred because I had a huge crush on Robin, was of the tears falling from my eyes and soaking the pillow as I went to be last night, thinking to myself, "So this is what it's like to be a teenager."

I will return to this story shortly.

* * * *

One Week Live at Beaner's Central is one of owner Jason Wussow's favorite times of the year, and based on the manner in which he enthused about it, this last show of the week was one he was especially looking forward to. The lineup featured 10-year-old Edward Ojard opening, followed by The Langertsons, then the Holy Hootenanners closing out the evening and the week.

Edward Ojard was on stage when I arrived, having created a setup that utilized both the in-house piano and his Yamaha keyboard. The young performer stood with one hand on each keyboard, straddling the space between as if he owned it, projecting a sense of being comfortable there. A rhythm and beat was looping as he played the two instruments simultaneously.

Edward Ojard
The young performer was all business as he moved from playing piano to playing the Yamaha and sometimes playing both together. The tunes varied in structure and form. Some utilized a disco-like beat, and others had something of a Western rhythm. Except the encore, in which he performed John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads," all the tunes were original compositions. Ojard doesn't sing while performing but he wins your heart. The Beaner's audience was eating out of his hand.




* * * *
(L to R) Amri, Josie, Eli on drums in back, and Audrey.
The Langertsons are a group comprised of two pair of siblings: Josie (13, lead singer, guitar and uke) and Audrey (15, bass) Langhorst, along with Amri (14, keyboards) and Eli (11, drums) Gilbertson. The four youths from Mahtowa, in Carlton County, seemed pretty relaxed beforehand, playing a game of Othello in the back, awaiting their set. Josie appears to be to be the front man, lead singer and songwriter, though all have mics and contribute to the vocals. I asked what their favorite group was and they unanimously declared The Beatles. And when I asked their favorite album, they all chimed in, The White Album.

Naturally I had to ask about Dylan. Josie's the Dylan fan in the group, a natural fit for the songwriter. Her favorite Dylan songs, at this time, are "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" and "Mr. Tambourine Man."

Drummer Eli Gilbertson looked at home.
Like the young Ojard, their songs last night were all original, most of which will appear on their new CD to be released in December.

The Langertsons opened their set with "Cruel World" followed by "Save the New Day."  Their third tune was titled "Ever Since," which Josie sang with a heartfelt seriousness: "You're not you any more..." It may have been this song that moistened my eyes, or else the next, and I thought of the manner in which a young Bob Dylan was writing songs beyond his years while a very young man.

Josie and Audrey Langhorst
"All the Time in the World" is a newer song, also about relationships. The poignancy of the emotion in the song is surprisingly mature for this thirteen-year-old teen to be writing. And that is when I thought about my 13th birthday. When I last saw her in May at the singer-songwriter contest she was only 12. Between that show and this she also had a 13th birthday. (This young lady seems so much more confident and mature than I was. Even when I was 18 my knees knocked together when I did public speaking.)

All the time in the world is what I would have given to you;
All the time in the world is what I would have spent with you,
All the time in the world is what I wish for you
All the time in the world is gone too soon.... gone too soon.

Amri and Josie
When the sisters sing in unison it's sweet and potent. Amri's harmonies were lost in the sound much of the time, unfortunately, but she's well-represented on the CD they've produced.

Their next song was the original tune Josie performed during Dylan Fest in May for the singer/songwriter contest. "Take it one day at a time my friend...  once again you'll see a different side to life."

Josie sang the next song with force. "I'm a Glass Door... you can see right through me..."

"I'm Your Apocalypse" followed...  "I'll watch your back, but you better get mine..."

Josie
Josie said they were on their way back from a party and she wrote the next song while sitting in the car: "I Can't Take Them On My Own.'
I can't take them on my own
I've got the world on my shoulders

The next song, which Amri and Josie co-wrote, was called "Hard Life," followed by "It's Inevitable," and a song sung by Audrey.
Why won't you let me just take your hand
Why won't you let me just help you stand...

* * * *
I asked the group how they get along and learned that there is some fighting between the siblings.

You can follow them on Twitter: @TheLangertsonsMusic
and on Facebook: The Langertsons

Josie and Audrey's father Zach Langhorst told me, commenting on Josie's songwriting, "It astonishes me as what she comes up with as a young lady." Mr. Langhorst acknowledges their mom as the course of their vocal ability. As for a favorite song, "Every one of them," he said.

* * * *
A full band with layered vocals. The Holy Hootenanners.
The evening finished with the Holy Hootenanners packing the stage. 11-year-old Eli Langhorst remained with his drum kit and provided the beat, along with flourishes, that enabled the Hootenanners to charge forward. The Hootenanners tunes were also original, and energizing.

Hootenanners from behind... Eli Langhorst supporting the rhythm section.
FWIW, Beaner's is a great place to meet friends or schedule meetings from early morning till mid-evening. The food is always good, the coffee is always on, and the staff is always ready to take care of you. When they press this year's CD of One Week Live, you will see it on the counter there where you place your order. And maybe you'll see me there as well.

Have a great week. 

No comments:

Popular Posts