Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Local Art Seen: Emerging Artists Fill Trepanier Hall

Saydee Lanes with her striking illustrations.
Despite a busy schedule I went out of my way last week to see the EMERGE art show at Trepanier Hall, home of the American Indian Community Housing Organizations (AICHO) in Downtown Duluth. The show's aim was to showcase up-and-coming artists and undiscoverered talent. In addition to the art there was also a musical program, which I regret having missed as I later heard it was quite good.

The hook for me was Moira Villiard, whose paintings have caught my attention this past year, including a painting she submitted to the Dylan-themed art show at the Red Mug Coffeehouse during the month of May. Some of the artists are showing their work for the first time. The styles varied, as did the mediums worked in. Though most of the work was painting and illustration, there was also sculpture and jewelry. The evening also included more than two hours of musical performances.

Here are some of the noteworthy pieces that captured my attention.
Moira Villiard's portraits are show stoppers.
Hanging pieces in the entryway to the hall.
Haylee Goranson showed some interesting work and a lot of variety.
Another impressive piece.

Meantime, art goes on all around you. Celebrate it.

No comments:

Popular Posts