Tuesday, July 29, 2014

What are the questions that most people don't ask themselves enough?


Quora is yet another form of social media in which people share questions on various thought provoking topics and generate insights or conversations from all around the world. Not every question asked is a jaw dropper (eg. How much were the Cleveland Browns sold for?) but many will generate countless ripples into the cyberpond of liquid interactivity.

This one was so good, I wanted to repost it here:
What are the questions that most people don't ask themselves enough?

Do I really need this?

If I weren't already in the middle of doing what I am doing would I still do it?

Is it time to walk away and try something new?

Does this actually make me happy?

What assumptions led me to that conclusion?

Is this thing worth the time and effort it took to earn the money to buy it?

Aside from "he's evil," or "she's insane," What are some reasons he or she may be acting that way and what would have to happen to me to make me act the same?

When considering the things I am absolutely sure I'm right about, in what ways might I be wrong?

What is my basis for claiming X?

When considering a phenomenon, view, or system over which people usually take sides -- or one for which I'm on a side -- what are some ways that both sides are right/wrong?

Why am I doing what I am doing?

When will I start taking my own advice?

If money were not an issue, what would I do with my life?

Why the hell do I do this everyday?

Before I ask this question, if I take 5 seconds to contemplate it, can I answer it myself?

Do I want to be right, or do I want a relationship?

What do I need to start doing?

What do I need to stay doing?

Is there another way to think about this?

Could I be wrong even if I am right?

Even if everything I believe about a situation is right, and everything I am doing is technically correct, could my actions have unintended consequences?

What if I went about solving the problem in a way that caused turbulence?

Why do I believe in what I believe?

Is this what I really want?

What are my weaknesses?

What have I done to make a difference?

Why do I want what I want?

I skipped a batch but if you want the who list, you can find it here at the Quora Answer Wiki.

* * * *
Featured eBook of the Day: Newmanesque

2 comments:

LEWagner said...

Lots of questions -- obviously, from somebody who likes to "hem and haw" a lot, and never quite come to a conclusion.
I'd say that kind of thinking is pretty-well covered in Revelation 3:14-16: "These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."
Have a great one. Be happy you're not falsely imprisoned, with no one knowing a thing about it.

Ed Newman said...

Sometimes it's good to be reflective. I liked the list, which I found somewhere else, thus I posted it.
thanks for the note.

Popular Posts