Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Tech Tuesday: Dali Is Back!

If you watched the Super Bowl you most likely saw the unusual ad featuring Andy Warhol eating a Whopper. I was on the phone with my brother at the time and he said, "Is that Andy Warhol?"

I replied, "No, he's been dead nearly 30 years. It's just a look alike."

Silly me. It was indeed Andy Warhol. Like, wow.

This morning's The Drum (an eNewsletter devoted to marketing) has a related story about the re-appearance of of another internationally famous artist, Salvador Dali. Unlike the Warhol bit, the Dali Museum has worked with the ad agency Goodby Silverstein & Partners to create an AI deepfake Dali, a computer generated resurrection, drawn from analysis of footage and writings, for the purpose of showcasing The Dali Museum.

For nearly a dozen years I flew to Tampa to help drive my mom back North after doing her winter snowbird thing there. One several of those trips I took advantage of the opportunity to visit the Tampa Museum of Art, the St Petersburg Art District or the Dali Museum.


Dali, perhaps one of the three most well-known artists of the 20th Century, had been a strong source of inspiration for me when I was a young art student. I'd often intended to see the fabulous Dali collection when it was in Cleveland, and only later delighted to discover it was now housed here in Florida.

Like the art itself, the architectural design of the museum is a worthy complement to the life of Dali. If you've never been, you owe it to yourself to make time for this treasure if you're ever in the vicinity.

Now, not only does his work live on, but he himself will live on in his own inimitable way.

Read Anatomy of a deepfake: how Salvador Dalí was brought back to life

Related Links
Dali Steps Out
Dali Museum More Striking Than Ever
Warhol Revisited
Warhol and Lichtenstein

Photos created using a Salvador Dali die-cut card purchased at the Dali Museum. 

No comments:

Popular Posts