Thursday, November 25, 2021

Today Is Thanksgiving. What Are You Thankful For?

"Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others."--Cicero

The feast included this turkey by Chef Micah.
Today is Thanksgiving Day, a day that commemorates the harvest of 1621 and the people who were spared from starvation. It's a day to be thankful for what we have and who we are. This is a day to give thanks for those around us, those who have been there for us, those who have helped us grow.

A few months after the Covid pandemic struck the world last year I wrote a blog post about the power of gratitude. Here's an excerpt from that piece.

I was reading a book in which at the end of one chapter the authors gave readers an assignment to make a list of 25 things they were grateful for. I decided to do this and found out something. Nearly the entire list was people, people who have enriched my life in a multitude of ways, family, friends, relatives, and eventually a few things like our home, Susie's garden, a career in which I could use my gifts, etc.

While writing this, other people keep coming to mind, people who helped me or cared about me or encouraged me, including teachers, coaches, and even a few strangers.  I'm also grateful that  I'm not dead yet. And overarching the whole is a sense of gratitude to God for this gift of life. 

"When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around."
--Willie Nelson

We have much to be grateful for. Today is a day to remember that.

Related Links

A Thankful Heart Is a Sign of Maturity by Trip Kimball

Grouchy? Cranky? Get a Gratitude Book by John Prin

No comments:

Popular Posts