Wednesday, October 11, 2023

The End of the World

When I was young I had a Herman's Hermits Greatest Hits album. One of the songs was "The End of the World," which had been originally recorded by Skeeter Davis in 1962. It's a lament about a romantic breakup, though lyricist Sylvia Dee's original inspiration came from the death of her father. 

If you're unfamiliar with the song, here are the first two stanzas.

Why does the sun go on shining?Why does the sea rush to shore?Don't they know it's the end of the world'Cause you don't love me anymore?
Why does my heart go on beating?Why do these eyes of mine cry?Don't they know know it's the end of the world?It ended when you said goodbye
I remember feeling this way a little on my 13th birthday when a girl I liked said yes to going steady with the boy across the street. As tear moistened my pillow that night I thought to myself, "So this is what it's like to be a teenager." Yes, a bit melodramatic.
In the song, these sentiments are followed by a bridge segment that encapsulates a little of what I've been feeling the past few days. It's a very differentstory.
I wake up in the morning and I wonderWhy everything's the same as it wasAnd I can't understand, no I can't understandWhy life goes on the way it does
It just seems weird to me how all this horror is taking place in the Middle East while life over here just goes on as always, with the World Series playoffs and TV shows and shopping and everything. Even the stock market has been going up. What's going on?
Of course there are always horrors going on that we never talk about--rape, violence, starvation, torture, brutality, suffering, etc.  This time it feels different. 
I've frequently cited the line "Man's inhumanity to man makes countless thousands mourn" which was originally penned by Robert Burns in his poem, Man Was Made To Mourn: A Dirge. The statement is a pointed indictment of human cruelty and a reminder that humans are capable of inflicting great pain upon each other, with devastating consequences.
The world is broken. The evidence is plainly visible to all. Will we ever live in a world where everyone is treated with dignity and respect? I have a hard time imagining it.

No comments:

Popular Posts