Sunday, May 31, 2009

Ten Minutes with an Ardent Lincoln Buff from Illinois

It's amazing how the great voices of history continue to inspire. Earlier this month while listening to an audio reproduction of the Lincoln-Douglas debates, I was moved to write about the experience here at Ennyman's Territory. I soon received a comment from Ann Tracy Mueller, a.k.a. LincolnBuff2 on Twitter. Our brief correspondence revealed her to be more than just a passing fan of the great Springfield lawyer who made such an impact on our nation.

Ms. Mueller agreed to let me interview her and what follows makes a pretty darn good read. Thank you Ann for taking the time to share these insights you've gained from studying this man's life.

Ann Tracy Mueller (Lincoln Buff 2) replies to Ed Newman’s interview questions

Ennyman: How did you become a Lincoln Buff?
LB2: I’ve often asked myself that same question, and until just recently the answer eluded me. I can’t ever remember not being a Lincoln Buff.

I grew up in Illinois, where the Lincoln story resonates. My parents and grandparents always had a strong sense of place and a great appreciation for stories of the past. School projects and field trips helped to heighten my interest in Lincoln.

But on a recent day, as I looked at a print of Knox College’s Old Main which I keep above my desk to inspire me, I think I figured it out. I was born in a hospital just a little more than a block from that site of an 1858 Lincoln-Douglas Debate. Back when I was born, hospitals often opened the windows to let in some cool air on a hot summer day. I think a breeze came along and blew some “Lincoln dust” my way. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Ennyman: What do you feel makes Lincoln such a remarkable person and president?
LB2: You can ask this question and get a hundred different answers. I think they’re all right, as his story touches each person in a unique way. For me, though, it’s two primary things – the story of the self-made man and his dedication to lifelong learning. He came from nothing and rose to greatness. But, he worked very hard to do it.

He wasn’t afraid to try new things. My goodness, look at how many different occupations he had – farmer, railsplitter, storekeeper, surveyor, lawyer, legislator, president and more. To do these things and to do them well, he never stopped reading and studying and seeking answers.

The Lincoln legacy is great. He changed our country in ways no other ever will, but one thing we can all take away from the Lincoln story is this: Never, ever stop learning!

Ennyman: What is the most surprising thing you've learned about Lincoln in your research?
LB2: There are several, but I think one which amazes me is the number of cases Lincoln dealt with in his years as an attorney and the respect he earned for being very accomplished at his trade. He was involved in more than 5,500 cases, some rather trivial, but some quite significant. And, in addition to this, he seemed to have a gift as a mediator, often showing opposing sides that it was really in their best interests to reach an amicable solution to their disagreement instead of having it resolved in the courtroom.

His law career was very important. It not only helped Lincoln to build relationships and gain respect, but as he went from town to town serving in courts throughout the Eighth Judicial Circuit, he made a name for himself. When he was propelled into the political spotlight, people would remember this plain-spoken, honest man with a gift for storytelling and a propensity for making sure right won out over wrong. They could get behind him because he was product of the prairie and a voice for its people.

Ennyman: How long have you been a Lincoln buff?
LB2: As I mentioned in the first question, I can’t ever remember not being one. I’ve had a lifelong interest. I did school projects on Lincoln as early as junior high, and did more work on him as an undergraduate.

I became more serious about pursuing Lincoln research in 2000 as I learned of the plans for a bicentennial celebration. I spent several days in Springfield when the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum, a very fine institution, opened in 2005.

I really dug in deeply, however, in the fall of 2008. My community college offered a class on “The Life and Times of Abraham Lincoln.” I’d wanted to contribute in some way to the bicentennial and I was learning so much in the class. It seemed a shame to keep it all to myself, so my blog, Lincoln Buff 2, was born. The alter ego I’ve lived with for most of my life now has a world wide presence.

Ennyman: Do you have a favorite Lincoln speech? What is it and why?
LB2: Lincoln has so many great speeches, but I have to say that his farewell speech to Springfield is my most favorite. It shows such a strong sense of place, an appreciation for the people who nurtured, inspired and supported him, and a depth of emotion that touches hearts still today.

I also really like one which gets much less recognition than it should – his “Discoveries and Inventions” speech, which he first delivered in Bloomington in April1858. In it, he calls writing “the great invention of the world.” And, since he was such a wonderful writer himself, I think this speech shows his appreciation for and grasp of the power of the written word.

Ennyman: Do you have a favorite Lincoln foto? Which and why?
LB2: Actually, I think my favorite Lincoln photo, is the one on the cover of Daniel Mark Epstein’s book, The Lincolns: Portrait of a Marriage. It’s actually not one image, but a composite made from one of each of them. When young Eddie, the second son, was just a few months old, the Lincolns had their portraits made by Nicholas H. Shepherd in Springfield.

In this image, I see a young father, in the early years of his career, with some of the weight of fatherhood upon him, but still a hope for the future. This is by far the most beautiful image of Mary I’ve run across. She still has that glow of a new mother, the pride in her husband, whom she firmly believes is destined for greatness, and a happiness about her, which later left and eluded here for much of her life. Epstein writes eloquently of this image on pages 99-100 of his book.

Ennyman: Do you have an opinion as to how U.S. history might have been different if Mr. Lincoln had not been assassinated?
LB2: This is the great Lincoln “what if” question. It’s asked at every Lincoln symposium or lecture. The answers vary depending on who is answering and what their background is. Some wonder if he would have lived much longer anyway. The presidency had taken a toll on him, and some believe he may have had a form of cancer. Since I’m not an historian by trade, I can’t answer this question with any certainty. So, would reconstruction have worked out differently? Probably, but that’s the question Lincoln scholars are better equipped than I to answer.

Ennyman: What is your own "greatest achievement" personally?
LB2: As a mother I should say my greatest achievement is raising two wonderful daughters, who make me very proud every day. Both are remarkable women, very bright, with strong faith and servants’ hearts, and I am, of course, very, very proud of them. Yet, I didn’t raise them alone. My husband and others close to us played just as important a role in this great achievement.

The one thing which gives me the greatest pride as my own achievement is returning to college while working full-time and subsequently completing my bachelor’s degree at age 41, just five weeks after becoming a grandmother for the first time. When I reached that goal, it was one of the proudest moments of my life.

I can think of only one other achievement which could surpass that – having my own book on Abraham Lincoln published someday. I’m now beginning work toward that end.


If you're a Lincoln buff yourself, or just want to plug in to some good historical writing that is both satisfying and illuminating, check out the Lincoln Buff 2 blogspot. This interview here is only designed to whet your appetite.

ednote: Image at the top left is a very early stage in a new Lincoln portrait I began this week.

4 comments:

Ann Tracy Mueller said...

Ed,

Thanks again for the interview opportunity, and for sharing my Lincoln story in your blog. Another Lincoln blogger, Mike Kienzler of the Springfield newspaper, The State Journal-Register, mentioned your interview in his blog yesterday: http://bit.ly/QzaJw.

Pretty neat, huh?

Cheers,
Ann

Ed Newman said...

Yes, very neat....
Thanks again for sharing. And keep going on your book.
ed

Ernest Nicastro said...

Good work the two of you. As a Lincoln buff myself and a huge admirer of his genius and eloquence as a writer I particularly liked that part of the interview. Two excellent books I would recommend along those lines are: "The Eloquent President," by Ronald C. White and "Lincoln's Sword," by Douglas L. Wilson.

And it's hard to argue with Ann's choice of favorite speech. The Springfield farewell is so moving.

Ed Newman said...

Thank you. I will look these up....
ed

Popular Posts