Saturday, January 3, 2009

Interview with Jack Salmela: Of Vikings & Voyageurs

He had the heart of an artist. But the practical advice of his father ruled out and he graduated college with a civil engineering degree. The inner flame, however, was never quenched and in 1983 he took an evening journalism class on magazine writing and editing. Over the years he worked at MnDOT by day, and polished his craft at night.

Duluthian Jack Salmela self-published his first novel, The Messiah Medallions, in 2005. Of Vikings and Voyageurs, his second novel, was picked up by North Star Press and released in 2008. Of this latter book, geologist/historian Scott Wolter wrote, "A clever and intriguing novel. The intelligent and memorable characters in this story endure a whitewater-like adventure dodging danger while trying to solve a mystery that crosses continents and cultures along the way to a startling climax!" Think of it as The Da Vinci Code with a Northland setting.

Here he talks about his new book, the craft of writing and other life lessons.

ennyman: What are some of the things you learned about Vikings and Minnesota through writing this book?
JS: About the Vikings ... That we are so ignorant of their history. The Cistercian monks and Templars in Gotland Sweden were very advanced by the 14th century. These are the folks who have been to North America long before Columbus.

About Minnesota ... That Grand Portage was the gateway to the West long before St. Louis was. Grand Portage was a commercial gateway that benefited both the Europeans (furs) and the Native Americans (wool blankets, pots, pans, and other metal goods). The St. Louis gateway, on the other hand, was the death knell for Native Americans as it brought in white settlement to Indian lands.

Another thing, the fur traders don't get the historical credit they deserve. For one example, Sir Alexander McKenzie made it to the Pacific Ocean twelve years before Lewis & Clark.

Speaking of whom -- Lewis & Clark had documented blonde-haired, fair-skinned Mandan Indians in present-day North Dakota. So had La Verendrye in the early 1700s. In fact, La Verendrye made his way from Lake Superior, through today's BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area), up to Lake Winnipeg, and out to the northern plains where he found an inscribed stone. Jesuit priests back in Montreal said the inscriptions were "Tatarian," which happen to be very similar to Nordic runes.

One last thing that I learned about Minnesota ...I have a couple of chapters with Ben Franklin in Paris when he and his commission had to negotiate the end of the Revolutionary War in 1782. Their map was very inaccurate of the Lake Superior Minnesota area. In fact, their map was the 1755 John Mitchell Map. What it shows as the Pigeon River up by Grand Portage was based on a hand sketch that Chief Ochagach drew for La Verendrye. The resulting treaty language turned out to be controversial, so much so that the Canadian explorer, David Thompson, was able to make the argument that the border should run down St. Louis Bay, between Duluth and Superior. This mess didn't get resolved until the Webster-Ashburton Treaty of 1842.

ennyman: What did you learn about yourself through writing this book?
JS: The research and writing was very natural for me. I never considered it work. And I like interacting with the public. I've had some speaking engagements that have been really rewarding, and I'm looking forward to others.

ennyman: Most people live pretty busy and full lives. In order to write they have to sacrifice something. Some sacrifice sleep, others make sacrifices in their social lives. What sacrifices have you made to write this book?
JS: Perhaps some more outdoor recreational activities or some construction project around the house. But regardless of what one does, it can always be considered as one thing done at the expense of another. I guess we gravitate to doing what we like best whenever we can.

ennyman: How did you become interested in this topic and how long did you work on this book from conception to publication?
JS: I love history, I love the history of this area, and I love the BWCA. I hope the beauty of the BWCA comes through to the readers of "Vikings & Voyageurs." And my wilderness canoeing experience was important for the practical aspects of the story, namely the geography and major flowages. Time from start of research & writing to a completed manuscript: 2 years, 2 months, and 2 weeks.

ennyman: After all is said and done, do you wish you had changed any part of the story? Is this the book you wanted to write?
JS: Yes, I'm satisfied. However, now that I've become friends with my primary resource on Viking history, Scott Wolter, I guess I now would have access to other info that may have had potential to alter the plot. But the book was written at a certain point in my life at a certain time. Anybody's book written at a different time would, of course, be different. But whenever a book gets done and comes out, it is what it is. So again ... not only am I satisfied, and I've gotten good feedback.

ennyman: You started writing in 1983. What kinds of things have you published in that time?
JS: One of my favorite essays, "Portrayal of a Prairie Blizzard," was published in a state-wide newsletter/newspaper. I've had a couple travel articles appear in the Outdoor section of the Duluth News Tribune, along with several photos. I've also had some photos and one article appear in Lake Superior Magazine. Newsweek published an article of mine in their "My Turn" column.
ennyman: Who are your favorite authors and why?
JS: Sigurd Olson's wilderness writing in Open Horizons and Reflections from the North Country was very influential.

Other authors ... well, I like to think more in terms of topic. I've really have liked outdoor adventures. Jonathan Krakour's Into Thin Air was absolutely thrilling, and I also liked Will Steger's North to the Pole, and Eric Severaid's Canoeing with the Cree.

In terms of impact at a deeper, emotional level ... Russell Baker's Growing Up will always be a favorite. And in terms of an anthropomorphic portrayal of mankind's eternal flaws, you can't beat Animal Farm.

ennyman: What is the next book you have inside you? Do you think it will be easier to produce now or harder because you know the cost of doing it?
JS: It has already started, and cost isn't an issue (at least not yet, anyway... I've been too chicken to quit my day job.) Scott Wolter was kind enough to give me the manuscript for his next, non-fiction book so I can incorporate his research. And I think this turned out to be a win-win. I recently gave him corrections that he really appreciated. (By the way, his first book on Viking history was my resource. It's title is, The Kensington Rune Stone -- Compelling New Evidence.)

EdNote: You can find both of Jack's books at Amazon.com

No comments:

Popular Posts