Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Books, Books, Books and a Few Good Quotes (About Books, Of Course)

This week is the Duluth Public Library sale. Check out all these titles, and so many classics! It's one of my favorite times of the year, almost like Christmas. They have CDs and audiobooks as well. So, today is dedicated to books and reading.

Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
  –P.J. O’Rourke


There are many little ways to enlarge your child’s world. Love of books is the best of all.
–Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis



Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou



There are perhaps no days of our childhood we lived so fully as those we spent with a favorite book.
–Marcel Proust





It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.
–C.S. Lewis


I'm going to assume that if you've read this far, you're probably a lover of books. If you aren't sure what you next plan to read, here's a link to a few of mine. Several are eBooks, a few in print.

Let's close with one more quote, again by C.S. Lewis: "I can’t imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once."

What book have you enjoyed so much you read it twice? Share it here in the comments. 

3 comments:

Phil said...

Not counting plays by Shakespeare, I've read five books twice or more: The Great Gatsby, The Immense Journey, Moby Dick, Beloved, and Huckleberry Finn. I am in the middle, however, of adding a sixth book to that auspicious list. That book is Chronicles, Volume One. It is such an incredible look into Dylan's life, his mine, his world, and his soul. I don't care if there are exaggerations every so often, and I am not going to fact check the book anytime soon. It is a great read and there are a number of highly evocative passages about Duluth.

I hope Dylan is already writing Volume 2, but I guess I will not hold my breath.

Ed Newman said...

Thanks for the note. A few of yours are on my list. Yes, I have read Chronicles, Vol. 1 twice, and enough other books that I can't recall them all. Listening to audio books made a few of these easy because of the narrator. Several Elmore Leonard books would be on this list including Mr. Majestyk, Get Shorty, Be Cool, and a couple others. I've read A River Runs Through It about 5 times and seen the movie three or so. When I first read In Our Time (Hemingway) I read it two and a half times through the first time... It blew me away. Death In Venice, Huck Finn, Of Mice & Men, Great Gatsby, 1984, Animal Farm and Brave New World, Moneyball have had double readings...
As for Chronicle, Vol. 2... Let's hope it's somewhere in his agenda for this side of eternity. It would be a good read, I am sure.

Ed Newman said...

A few more.... Old Man and the Sea, The Tenth Man as well as The Quiet American by Graham Greene and several others. When I was in first and second grade there was a certain picture book I liked that I kept taking out every time it was available, so much so that the librarian commented on it and said I was ready for books for older kids, but I just liked that story so much that I kept wanting to read it again.

Ah.. Books! What a treasure.

Popular Posts