Thursday, August 2, 2018

Quotes About Man's Best Friend (or Who Let the Dog Quotes Out?)

I still remember the evening we went to buy our first family dog. He was a springer-beagle mix, with the build of a spring and the short hair of a beagle. His name was Lucky. He was six weeks old and the new puppy smell is still fresh in my memory. And yes, he was cute and he was loved.

For some reason it just seems like a good day to think about our dogs.

* * * *

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself."
--Josh Billings

“The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”
 --M.K. Clinton

“The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.”
--Charles de Gaulle

Lucky and me, 1967
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
 ―Will Rogers

“The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.”
―Andy Rooney

“You want a friend in this city? Get a dog!”
 ―Harry Truman (on Wash. D.C.)

“Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.”
 ―Agnes Sligh Turnbull

This last quote above brought to mind the following recollection from my 20+ years at AMSOIL. The late A.J. Amatuzio, company founder and former president, loved dogs and always had a dog. In his later years he often brought his faithful companion to the office. After this last dog died he was once again heartbroken, as had sadly happened so many times before. He said to me, "When I die I am going to tell God that it isn't fair that people live 80 or 90 years but dogs lives are so short, so you have to have your heart broken so many times during your life on earth."

* * * *

On the Lighter Side

“Other useful commands to teach your dog are 'stay,' 'heel,' 'remove your snout from that person's groin,' 'stop humping the Barcalounger,' 'do not bark violently for two hours at inanimate objects such as a flowerpot,' ' do not eat poop,' and 'if you must eat poop, then at least refrain from licking my face afterward'.”
―Dave Barry

And finally, for an entertaining read, check out this blog post about national poet laureate Billy Collins and his poem Another Reason I Don't Keep a Gun in the House. A dog story from yet another amusing angle. Enjoy.

* * * *

May you stay forever young.

No comments:

Popular Posts