Sunday, October 20, 2019

PBS Pledge Drive Inspires George Harrison Guitar Art


Anyone who has listened to public radio for any length of time is well aware of their periodic pledge drives. Over the course of many years of listening to KUMD's Highway 61 Revisited while painting in my studio on Saturday nights, there were many of these programs where the late John Bushey, the show's host, would be live on the air commenting on rare Dylan outtakes that he'd saved just for these occasions. (Miriam Hanson is our current host holding the torch for this popular Northland radio program.)

"Here Comes The Sun"
THIS PAST WEEK I learned that Susan Krochalk, a local artist who has routinely contributed her talent and art to a number of our annual Duluth Dylan Fest art shows, did this really cool George Harrison-themed guitar. She was crowdsourcing on social media, asking advice on the kind of finish to use over the surface. 

As soon as I saw it I wanted to share it here. I asked what her what motivation was for producing this beautiful creative work. She shared her story here:

My motivation for this piece was a call for art for the upcoming WDSE show celebrating 55 years of public television in the Twin Ports. So (that would be) any art inspired by PBS programming. In spring of 2018 we were watching the "Concert for George" during the PBS pledge drive. We loved it so much that we became sustaining members of the station at that time. I originally bought the guitar thinking I would create a Bob Dylan piece, however while listening to the George Harrison cd (the pledge drive gift along with concert dvd) I felt inspired to do this instead.

Glad you did, Susan. It's very, very nice.

Related Links
George Harrison & Friends: The 1971 Concert for Bangladesh
George Harrison's "Taxman" Has Lessons for Us All
My Dinner With George
And finally, one of many renditions of While My Guitar Gently Weeps that you can find on YouTube, this one featuring Eric Clapton and Paul McCartney at the Concert for George.

What's your favorite George Harrison song?

2 comments:

Sue K said...

My Favorite George Harrison song at this moment in life: Hear Me Lord.
Favorite album: All Things Must Pass.

Ed Newman said...

Hi... Yes, that is a great song. That was a really fine triple album, too.
The guitar you did is way cool. very beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Popular Posts