Friday, December 6, 2019

Laura Leivick's Take On Bob Dylan's December 5 Show at the Beacon

Photo courtesy Laura Leivick
I recently learned that O. Henry, the short story writer who made twist endings famous 120 years ago, used to get ideas for stories by hanging around busy hotel lobbies and eavesdropping on conversations. I identified with this because I, too, have had a number of blog posts triggered by things I overheard.

So it is that I enjoyed the opening of lines of Laura Leivick's lively review of Dylan's show last night at the Beacon Theater on the Upper West Side. The veteran writer (NYTimes Magazine, WSJ lit critic, Rolling Stone copy editor, etc.) and lifetime Dylan fan (how many of us began with Bob's first album) shared this review of the December 5 concert.

* * * *
ONE MORE TIME AROUND
Tonight, after the Dylan concert at the Beacon, I heard two guys in the 20-30-something age range, who had seen the show, having a manic exchange about how amazingly Bob's work defies age. "He could be 30," exclaimed one who looked like he might be 30 himself. Oh, yeah? That kind of stagecraft--not to mention the setlist--was built over a lifetime.

It was a great concert no matter how you slice it, though it took me a while to catch on. The opener was puzzling--Bob singing "Things Have Changed," great! but playing electric guitar--why? (If it's because he can, well, I guess that's as good a reason as any.) Soon enough, however, he was building up a head of steam, and by the time he reached the final encore, he was tearing up the place. I saw a bank of scofflaws, their cameras a-blazing; people were dancing in the aisles, even the skinny spaces between rows of seats. Near the stage, a girl with blond bobbed hair bopped so joyfully I thought Bob should put her in a wheel barrow and wheel her down the street.

I got off to a slow start--I was jarred by the volume of the new drummer, Matt Chamberlain, and thought his sound lacked variety for a few songs. Or maybe the acoustic balance was off (or my hearing was, or where I was sitting was a problem—tho’ mid-orchestra should be good).

But by the time Bob was singing "Trying To Get To Heaven," accompanying himself on piano, I had recovered. Tony Garnier played the violin. If that doesn't open the door, nothing will.

Next up, the night's power-packed versions of "Pay in Blood" and "Early Roman Kings," and then the mood changed utterly and we got "Girl From the North Country" with Donnie Herron's haunting, Irish-inflected fiddle. Best version I ever heard. I held my breath.


Photo courtesy Philip Hale from previous show.
I guess I should note that the stage didn't resemble a supper club tonight, as it has during other Beacon runs, and the band wasn't dolled up in matching dinner jackets. Bob was dressed fancy for the occasion and wore no hat. The stage was set up so that when he left the piano he could easily and quickly be center stage singing and playing harp or guitar.

I was sort of embarrassed by "Not Dark Yet," which Bob sang from center stage with Herron on pedal steel. I'd call it corny--the pause between "It's not dark yet" and "but it's getting there" struck me as pure melodrama. However, the hard truth is it's Bob Dylan singing his own song about (his own?) mortality, so that's that.

The last four songs and the two encores left us all screaming. Hope we'll reconvene next Fall.

* * * *

Thanks, Laura, for contributing your insights here. Rich! What a privilege we've all had who took advantage of the opportunity to catch one or more of the shows on this fall's chapter of the NET.

Tonight (if you're reading this Friday) is the last of 10 performances in the Big Apple, with a final punctuation mark for this leg of the Never Ending Tour at The Anthem in Washington DC Sunday evening. If you can find a seat, take advantage.

Related Links
Another Review of Last NIght's Concert, by Johnny B
Dylan at the Beacon--Philip Hale Shares Why Fans Keep Coming Back for More
A Brief Glance at the Life of William Sydney Porter, a.k.a. O Henry 
Spotlight on Writer and Expecting Rain Contributor Laura Leivick
Start Spreading the News: Dylan Still at the Top of His Game in the Big Apple

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Saw this leg of the tour in Akron, Ohio. Outstanding. Loved every second. Keep rolling Bob

Robert Damon said...

Most overrated performance I have ever seen.

Steve Barton said...

Ah...Is it rolling, Bob? Why, yes, yes it is.

huehuepat said...

Very poor writing ! saw Bob six times 1975- 2016 2 horrible shows, 3 great, 1 good. Every song in a great show is not great. Merle Haggard saved one show, ask Bob what he thinks of Merle.
So

Unknown said...

So glad I was in newyork and managed to get a ticket bob is a legend great show from him and the band

Unknown said...

The best

Unknown said...

Saw the show in Chicago. thought it was boring. Stood in the back of the arena for the encores so I could leave fast..the place was far from sold out. Second time seeing him. First time was great 25 years ago. Won't see him again. I like his albums though

Anonymous said...

I liked Johnny B's review Good job posting it.

Popular Posts