Saturday, May 16, 2020

Local Art Seen: Tara Lynn Austin's Boreal Ornament III at the Joseph Nease Gallery

No, it's not a robbery in progress.
While walking past Joesph Nease Gallery on Thursday I peeked inside and saw two people wearing masks robbing the place. One was rolling up Kathy McTavish's tapestries and the other had a dolly to carry off Joe Nease's filing cabinets full of papers and important documents.

No, it was actually Joe himself moving newly acquired filing cabinets with Amanda McElray Hunter packaging the McTavish pieces.

Like many other establishments, the gallery is eager to re-open. Simultaneously they have been trying to define their new policies so as preserve a safe space when they do.

In March I was very much looking forward to seeing Tara Austin's new show, Boreal Ornament III. I'd written about her exhibition at the Duluth Art Institute two years ago this month. At that time I was curious where her vision would take her and I'd marked off the March 27 opening as one I didn't want to miss. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 earthquake intervened a couple weeks earlier.


Schedules for JNG have been adjusted and I'm guessing that just around the time the show was slated to come down the doors will open again. For this reason Joe says Tara Austin's unique work will remain on the walls for an extended period.

Here are some images from my Thursday solo saunter through the gallery. Her ornate work defies easy categorization. I was masked, but not anonymous.

*

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*


Related Links
Artist Interview: Tara Lynn Austin--Without Limits
Exhibitions at the Joseph Nease Gallery
Tara Lynn Austin's Wordpress Site

No comments:

Popular Posts