Sunday, August 23, 2020

Bluegrass State Photos Bring Back Memories

People and places of Kentucky
Courtesy Gary Firstenberg

aka Muddy Waters

Grave of Chester Arthur Burnett. Howlin' Wolf features
prominently in Dylan's Murder Most Foul.

*
My grandfather was born there (in Eastern Kentucky), and his father and his grandfather. I remember visiting my great-grandfather when he lived on the mountain in Eastern Kentucky across from Yellow Rock, and later again when he had moved to Bear Track, population 36 at the time. I can trace my roots back through great-great grandparents and their parents all the way back to Daniel Boone, whose offspring I am. "Daniel Boone was a man..."

I have so many memories, including visiting the places where the newborn Abe Lincoln lived, one being pictured above. Mammoth Cave, Cumberland Lake, Gethsemani, the Trappist Monastery where Thomas Merton is buried. After I'd grown there were business trips to Louisville for truck shows and National Street Rod Association events, and to Chevy Chase for diesel truck competitions.

In short, it's a beautiful state with a lot of history for me personally.

* * * *
Photographer Gary Firstenberg sent me these fotos from Kentucky as he continues on his points-of-interest road trip through the Midwest.

Related Links
Gary Firstenbergs Recent Midwest Travels
Best of Gary Firstenberg Collection

No comments:

Popular Posts