Monday, April 26, 2021

A Post-Modern Effort to Create a Blog Post in the Classical Tradition

A Postmodern Man
This past year I came to realize that blogging had begun to become passé. It dawned on me that I must return to the roots of blogging and attempt to create a blog post in the classical tradition.

To return to the classical spirit means leaving behind the human beast and naturalism. Even Flaubert, if it were possible. It was time to return to Marivaux, Beaumachais and Moliere. It was an ambitious goal, but I must point out that the other way only led to a most dismal series of rabbit holes. To quote Renoir, "When choosing masters, it's best to choose a plump one." This does not mean you are comparing yourself to them. It simply means you're trying to learn something from them. 

And so it is that I tried to create a classical work that incorporated classical music. I had to perform it in something of a comedic fashion in order to lift some of the heaviness that has saturated our times. The result was something of a pantomime. 

In this post I determined to place some extremely simple characters who carry their ideas through to their natural conclusions, who go as far as the development of their thought takes them. They are frank and straightforward. It's a portrait of this society, albeit a society in decline, though we love it because it wears no mask.

When this blog post was originally produced, it came across as ill-conceived and even controversial. The comments were interesting, though. A few could not be published. No harm done. There were no threats on my life, only insults.

As is well-known the 20th century was one of deconstruction, which I'd hopde to see followed by an era of reconstruction. To my dismay, we've become heirs to an era of destruction. Nothing is sacred to the destroyer-technicians who have turned values on their heads. It's not dark yet, but it's getting there. 

To shine a light on this zero sum game was never my intention. I had a different story to tell, and it was only later that I was rewarded. But then, that is another story.

Sensitive hearts, faithful hearts, who shun love whether it does range
Cease to be so bitter, so bitter. Is it a crime to change?

* * * 

AFTERWARD
Many, if not most, of the sentences were transcribed and repurposed from Jean Renoir's introductory remarks to his 1939 film The Rules of the Game. It's similar to the technique I used in the short story Harry Gold, or the opening of A Poem About Truth

No comments:

Popular Posts