Friday, September 10, 2021

Claude Angele Boni's Stuck Inside Of Mobile (with a rhapsody for Bob Dylan)

This is a follow up to my previous blog posts regarding the Dylan-inspired paintings and collages of Claude-Angèle Boni (which are linked at the bottom of this page.) I learned about Ms. Boni through Dylan archivest Bill Pagel. Ms. Boni wanted to donate. three of her pieces to his collection. 

To say the least, when I saw her work I was thoroughly impressed. 

I soon learned of this book which features full color glossy reproductions of her art and was able to acquire a copy for my own collection. The  the story of how she'd come to find inspiration through Bob's music and the artist himself is the story that accompanies these images.

The narrative, written in both English and French, was published in England in 1980 by Elizabeth Thomson. The English text could have been better edited, nevertheless, the caliber of the artwork more than makes up for this shortcoming.

For those unfamiliar with the tale, Ms. Boni had an opportunity to spend time with Bob for a drawing session. She drew his hands and feet, he drew her face. You can see the hand she drew below.

The last time she was interviewed was  by Guido Bieri for the magazine JUDAS, issue #13, April 2005, a noteworthy 20-page interview. She was also featured in an article by Alan Williams in the magazine ENDLESS ROAD, issue #6, September 1984. The pictures from the book here are pre-1980. 



I find her work to be remarkably Dali-esque, as you can see
when compared to Dali's Metamorphosis of Narcissus below.

Metamorphosis of Narcissus, Salvador Dali

Pencil drawing of Bob Dylan's hand, by Claude-Angele Boni

Related Links

French Artist Claude-Angèle Boni Explains Two Dylan-Inspired Treasures  


Fun With Collage: Claude-Angèle BONI's Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts, Versions 1 & 2


Claude-Angele BONI's It's Alright, Ma + Eden


Inspired by Saved! A Dylan-Themed Painting by Claude-Angele BONI


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Ed, your talent as an Art critic gives so much more value to my Art works! I have to say it again, my life changed when I heard Bob Dylan singing his fabulous songs, I would never have created such images and felt such happiness in doing it as I was always listening to him while I was working. His voice and his songs are so powerful even the most "classical" like the one who goes like: "Whatever colors you have in your mind, I'll show them to you and you'll see them shine". About the great Dali, I'm not coming near his technical virtuosity and his unlimited imagination but what I share with him without a doubt is the membership of the "world of desire"

Popular Posts