Sunday, March 19, 2023

Where Will You Be When Tomorrow Is Today?

I've often thought about the tripartite nature of time--past, present and future. I think it interesting that time going backwards is immense. Likewise, the future stretches forward to infinity... or so it seems. Where we live at this moment is in the now. 

How does that work? It's such a small space, yet we've never really lived anywhere else. Where I am now will quickly be past as I keep moving into the next now and the next...

Someone made a comment yesterday that led me to write down the words at the top of this page. "Where will you be when tomorrow is today?" I'm not sure that was the exact wording of what they said, but as I reflected on it those were the words I recorded. I was thinking it might make a good title or theme for a poem, or a song. 

Now here it is, yesterday's tomorrow is here now. I am captured today in this specific space in time. As a result of clocks--a man-made invention--I can even record the exact time of this now. Before clocks, time was measured by nature's actions. I will meet you at sunrise, or sunset. We'll go to the mountain together after the harvest. We'll gather at the Big Lake on the next Full Sturgeon Moon. (ricing season)

Where will you be when tomorrow is today?
If I met you there, what would you say?
It won't be for long but I'll be going away
to the land where the deer and antelope play.

Life is a gift. For most of us it is measured in years. 

There are many thoughtful songs about this matter of time. One of my favorites is "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?"  

And where does it go? 

Another thought here. You can't take it with you. Time is yours to spend as long as you are here. Therefore it is precious, not something to be squandered. 

Meantime... I hope the week ahead will be rewarding for you. 

No comments:

Popular Posts