Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Jonathan Winters Talks About His Start Making Pictures

"I went to art school in ‘47, got married in ‘48, and in ‘49 got into radio at Dayton, WING, and was a disc jockey, and continued to go to art school.

"The bug bit me in show business. My art at the time was so commercial, so commercial it was sad. I would have been good if I was going to do industrial drawing or be a commercial artist, which I wasn’t. I’m not a commercial comedian, so I certainly wasn’t going to be a commercial artist.

"I didn’t find a style until I was well out of school. In the early 70’s I really got down to painting. I was working on the road, in gin mills and night clubs and stuff, but when I’d come home I’d paint. I think I had my first art show in ‘72, here in Southern Cal or LA, and I have been painting ever since."
~ from an interview with Jonathan Winters, 2004

No comments:

Popular Posts