Sunday, April 27, 2014

Local Art Seen: Student Art Shines in Art for Earth Day Gallery Hop

Kailyn Sieler's Mermaid
“It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see.” – Henry David Thoreau

I was able to explore at least half of the participating Twin Ports galleries in this year’s Gallery Hop, and repeatedly rewarded. The other day I shared pictures from the Duluth Art Institute's First Spark student show and thought it might create a nice echo to share a few more pictures of student art that I saw Saturday in Superior and at UMD.

Black and white and wonderful.
The Phantom Galleries – Superior exhibit is titled Seeding the Next Generation, assembled from Superior High School Students by Jeredt Runions, a real connector in the grass roots sector of our arts community. This show is in the New York Building on the 1400 block of Tower Avenue.

Art plays a variety of roles in our lives and in our communities, from therapeutic to social to aesthetic. It’s always exciting to me when I see young people exploring new ways to express all that nebulous “stuff’ of adolescence that is whirling about inside. I am certain that with Runions’ guidance many of young people will have developed new ways of seeing, both themselves and the world around them.

Across the bridge and atop the hill the doors and halls were opened wide for visiting the studio spaces and UMD arts facilities. From painting and drawing to digital and beyond I saw much that was thoroughly engaging. I saw playfulness and seriousness, unpredictability and plenty of material demonstrating that deeper thought was taking place.

The art of print making.
Having immersed myself in the arts program at Ohio University, I experienced some nostalgic moments, especially when I explored the printmaking room with its litho stones, intaglio and the presses.

Learning how to express oneself is a critical part of growing up. Getting exposed to the wide variety of tools for expression is a useful experience. Making art is one channel through which many leaders once traversed, whether it be visual, musical or literary.

“Be yourself, because those who matter don’t mind, and those who mind don’t matter.” – Dr. Suess

There was also a juried student show on display in the Tweed Museum along with a whole raft of other activities to mark the day. Here are some other things I saw in the corridors of the U and in the museum gallery. I got a kick out of the pantone colors served as cookies.

I still have more to share about the other work I saw Friday and Saturday, but for now here are a few snapshots from the students' shows, a worthy excursion.


“Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.” – Steve Jobs

Meantime, art goes on all around you. Engage it. 

No comments:

Popular Posts