Sunday, April 20, 2014

Thoughts for the Day: Easter 2014


"Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things... 
 I am tempted to think there are no little things." ~ Barton Sutter

"Strong conviction of one's calling has always seemed to me 
 to be the most important element in a successful career."
~ Paul Tournier

"Many lives remain unfulfilled because of a lack of courage 
in affirming one's inner conviction in spite of all obstacles." ~ ibid.

"I will study and get ready and the opportunity will come."
~ A. Lincoln

"Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings."
~ Samuel Johnson
________________________________________

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, 
whatever you did for one of the least of these my brothers 
you did for me.'" ~ Matt. 25:37-38
________________________________________ 

I was regretting the past
and fearing the future.
Suddenly, my Lord was speaking.
"My name is I Am"

He paused. I waited. He continued.

"When you live in the past,
with its mistakes and regrets,
it is hard. I am not there.
My name is not 'I was'.

When you live in the future,
with its problems and fears,
it is hard. I am not there.
My name is not 'I will be'.

When you live in this moment
it is not hard. I am here.
My name is 'I AM'.

~ Helen Mallicoat
________________________________________

"Let your eye be single and your whole body
will be filled with light." ~Matt. 6:22  
________________________________________

"Our plans miscarry because they have no aim.
When a man does not know what harbor he is making for,
no wind is the right wind." ~Seneca
________________________________________

"When you cease to make a contribution, you begin to die."
~Eleanor Roosevelt
________________________________________

I live my life in growing orbits,
which move out over the things of this world.
Perhaps I can never achieve the last,
but that will be my attempt.
I am circling around God,
around the ancient tower,
and I have been circling for a thousand years.
And I still do not know
if I am a Falcon,
or a storm,
or a great song.

~ R. M. Rilke


No comments:

Popular Posts