Tuesday, December 18, 2018

100 Pages of 100 Books, or Rather... Books with 100 in the Title

As the days wind down toward year end, two things almost always seem to occur. We look back over the year that just passed, and we look ahead to the year to come.  Time Magazine selects a person of the year, and the rest of us make New Year's Resolutions.

Generally I dislike making resolutions for the new year, since if it's important, then why wait till January 1 to start. People say they are going to start exercising more, eating less, quit smoking or drinking, etc. but if it is worth doing, why wait? When I was a pimply-faced teen I quit chocolate for the first ten months of one year, believing the acne was due to the sweets. Yes, in that instance it was a new years resolution.

On the other hand, I frequently begin a new year with goals. Goals help us make decisions with regard to how we use our time. Time, as a resource, is frequently scarce and seldom free. To use it for this activity we must sacrifice that other activity. For this reason how we choose to use our time reveals what we value and shapes who we will become.

I'm a writer who writes every day, so I do not need a resolution to follow through on this. But I have resolved to write another book, and have made it a goal to decide which book project to tackle in 2019.

Yesterday I had coffee with a friend who asked if I had seen these "100" books, in which the writer uses 100 objects to tell a story. I'd not seen this as a series yet, though 100 is a nice round number that makes a good handle for a suitcaseful of content. Last night I slipped out to Barnes & Noble to see what they had along these lines. Then I visited Amazon. Here's some of what I found.

A History of America in 100 Maps
This University of Chicago Press volume was published in September this year, and I deduced it to be indicative of the trend he spoke of.

Indescribable: 100 Devotions for Kids About God and Science
There were a number of devotionals on the list, including this one by Thomas Nelson. I mention it here only as an excuse to say I once pitched a book on Ethical Issues in Terminal Health Care to Thomas Nelson, and the VP called to tell me Joni Eareckson Tada was working on a book on this topic. I was asked to consider writing a devotional targeting secular readers as part of a series they were doing. I got paid, but my contribution never appeared in print. How many books have I published? Well, that number is fewer than how many I have written.

Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons
This Touchstone book by Simon & Schuster has been around for decades but its aim remains relevant. Reading well is a foundational life skill. Writing well, in my opinion, is also an essential life skill, for is why I wrote Writing Exercises: How to Teach Writing and Prepare Your Favorite Students for College, Life and Everything Else. We homeschooled our kids for several years with Susie being the primary schoolmarm and admin staff. I wrote most of the tests, which kep me involved in all they were learning, and I taught writing. A powerful insight that I'd gained while coaching soccer became the impetus for re-thinking how writing is taught. I personally believe this is my most important book thus far, due to the new approach to how we grade and keep students motivated. EdNote: I wid not write 100 writing exercises here, though there is an appendix with 100 Writing Prompts. 

100 Deadly Skills: The SEAL Operative's Guide to Eluding Pursuers, Evading Capture, and Surviving Any Dangerous Situation
This was another Touchstone book of recent vintage, with several others similar in concept.

The Story of Baseball: In 100 Photographs
I held this hefty volume in my hand last night at Barnes & Noble. Published last month they apparently wanted to catch the wave on the 100 Series. Beautiful photography combined with good storytelling, a nice coffee table book for the baseball fan.

100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings: How to Get By Without Even Trying
My first thought upon seeing this book was, "So, it's come to this? Don't do your homework, don't actually be smart, just figure out how to appear smart." Symbolizes everything that is wrong with America to me.

100 Days of Real Food: On a Budget: Simple Tips and Tasty Recipes to Help You Cut Out Processed Food Without Breaking the Bank
Published by William Morrow Cookbooks, this one also came out in 2018. "Catch a wave and you're sittin' on top of the world." --Beach Boys

100 Knits
Interweave published this one in October. When it rains it pours.

A History of the World in 100 Objects
Penguin Books, 2013. Seems pretty cool.

Vegan 100: Over 100 Incredible Recipes from Avant-Garde Vegan
Quadrille Publishing, also a new release this year.

Here are a few more titles from the 100 pages of books listed on Amazon when you search for 100s.

100 of the Most Beautiful Piano Solos Ever

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People

100 Photographs: The Most Influential Images of All Time

The 100 (The 100 Series Book 1)

Leonard Bernstein 100: The Masters Photograph the Maestro

100 Things Every Homeowner Must Know: How to Save Money, Solve Problems and Improve Your Home

Big Board First 100 Words

The History of Landscape Design in 100 Gardens

100 Snowmen

100 Books You Must Read Before You Die

100 Countries, 5,000 Ideas: Where to Go, When to Go, What to See, What to Do

I once sketched out a book called 100 Things You Can Do with a Television Set, which was 100 cartoons or illustrations of ways to smash or destroy them. Alas...

Related Links
Still looking for something to read? Or give for Christmas? Here is a page with links to my other books. Hope your year end holidays are special for you this year. And may 2019 bring you 100 very special kinds of blessings. Thanks for checking in.

No comments:

Popular Posts