Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Is This True? Does Childhood Offer But One Glimpse of the Future

"There is always one moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in."--Graham Greene, The Power & the Glory

I'd been assembling Graham Green quotes for a blog post on Medium, and this one in particular gave me paws. I began howling like a dog.

No, what I meant was it gave me pause. Caused me to stop and reflect. Is this statement really true? Was there a singular moment, perhaps a singular event, that showed me the rest of my life?

There's a Borges story in which Borges sits on a park bench and realizes his younger self is at the other end of the bench. The older attempts to convey something to the younger, giving a glimpse of his future in an unusual way.

As a reflect on my own life, there are many moments that reveal myself to myself, though I have difficulty pointing to a single moment when a door opened. In my very earliest years I had no real concept of "the rest of my life."

Other scenes come to mind and in retrospect I see my characteristic weakness and vacillation. Still other moments I see a singular confidence in the face of meager odds.

Perhaps my pneumonia experience gave me some premonitions. I missed the last five weeks of the school year in seventh grade. Also did time in the hospital, five days total. I missed the Little League All Star Game and the kid from Peapack-Gladstone who took my place at shortstop hit a grand slam home run. He hit it off that big fastball pitcher from Far Hills who had struck me out last time I faced him. Privately I was grateful to not have been a goat, though I never admitted this to anyone.

I look at my early relationships with girls and see patterns that followed for a lifetime. I was oldest of four boys with no sisters, so there was always something mysterious and fascinating about the opposite sex, even before puberty.

A fairly re-defining event for me was being pallbearer at my best friend's funeral in high school. Much reflection on that experience ensued, and I never fully released my bottled up grief till more than a dozen years later, a cathartic torrent of tears.

Perhaps some of my early dreams offered glimpses as well. One recurring theme from that time--one that took a variety of forms--still haunts me.

* * * *

Alas, did you ever have a moment in childhood when you saw your future with perspicacious clarity? Yes? No? Leave a comment. We'd like to hear more.

No comments:

Popular Posts