Saturday, October 17, 2020

How Engaged Are Your Employees? The 12 Questions Gallup Researchers Ask

For years I have referenced data from the Gallup organization for insights on various topics. What I like about Gallup  Polls is that they stake a claim on getting the most diverse viewpoints from the broadest field of data. They have the resources to do this because they do it well and have become trusted for it, unlike many news polls that pretend to do so. 

When companies measure ROI, they are measuring results after the fact. When they measure enployee engagement, they will impact future ROI because, as 20 years of Gallup research has shown, engaged employees are more efficient and more productive than their disengaged peers.

When employees are engaged there is less turnover, less absenteeism, more profitability. This not only aligns with common sense, it has all been extensively documented. This Gallup report was assembled by analyzing data from 100,000 teams. Sort of blows your mind when you consider the scope of this project.

Wherever your company is at, employee engagement can be improved by knowing what the real needs of employees are. According to Gallup, there are just three kinds of needs and 12 questions to ask. First there are personal, individual needs. Then there are teamwork needs, and finally growth needs. Here are the 12 questions. Yes or no.

Q01.  I know what is expected of me at work.
Q02.  I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right.
Q03.  At work, I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day.
Q04.  In the last seven days, I have received recognition or praise for doing good work.
Q05.  My supervisor, or someone at work, seems to care about me as a person.
Q06.  There is someone at work who encourages my development.
Q07.  At work, my opinions seem to count.
Q08.  The mission or purpose of my organization makes me feel my job is important.
Q09.  My associates or fellow employees are committed to doing quality work.
Q10.  I have a best friend at work.
Q11.  In the last six months, someone at work has talked to me about my progress.
Q12.  This last year, I have had opportunities at work to learn and grow.


Note the character of the questions. There are work environments where managers believe people do not need encouragement. There are work environments where you have to practically fight to get the tools and materials to do your job. I once worked in a culture where you had to go through a gatekeeper in order to get a pen to write with. 


The one about a best friend is interesting. Are we linked in with the company beyond the paycheck? Do your workers feel themselves part of a bigger family?

HERE IS A LINK TO WHERE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE REPORT.

This is exceedingly useful information. Work cultures can be measured, and they can be improved. This report can guide managers and leaders on what areas to focus on, what really matters for your employees.

* * * *

Photo by Marvin Meyer on Unsplash

No comments:

Popular Posts