Tuesday, October 19, 2021

That Elvis Intangible: A Thoroughly Earnest "Nice Guy"

Graceland photos courtesy Dr. Ron Newman
How is it that Elvis became so famous? I mean, he's been dead 44 years and yet a half million people a year still visit Graceland, his mansion in Memphis. With the exception of the White House, it is the most visited home in the U.S.

This summer I interviewed Charlie McCoy, a session musician who was part of Nashville's A-Team for many years. He's been recorded with so many stars that the list of Nashville names he hasn't recorded with must be shorter than the list of those he has. Anyways, in the course of our conversation I asked "What was Elvis like?"

McCoy replied, "When Elvis entered a room, he commanded attention. He had a 'presence'... The first thing he did, he walked up to each of the musicians and shook hands. 'Thank you for helping me,' he'd say." 

* * * 

Elvis was a car guy, too. (Photo from Graceland)
When I heard that story it brought to mind another anecdote from an interview with the late George Barris a few years ago. Barris was the Hollywood car guy who designed the Munsters Coach, the Batmobile and other familiar TV cars. I asked, "You’ve been part of the scene for a long time. Who would you say are some of the nicest people in Hollywood?"

After giving it a moment's thought, Barris replied, "There was a young man that I was doing a car for, and he came in here and he’d walk to my paint man, Mr. Tubbs, who has been with me for 35 years and he said, “Mr. Tubbs, how you feeling today? I heard you were sick last week?” Then he’d go to my metal man, “Mr. Tony, your 14-year-old boy is really growing now isn’t he?” He went to every man that worked on his car, called him Mr., and extended his courtesy. And that young man was Elvis Presley. He was that kind of man, a young person that respected people and would meet and greet people."

* * *

Outfit on display at Graceland
At the end of August I was introduced to yet another man who knew Elvis personally, Tony Belmont, president and founder of the National Comedy Hall of Fame. Belmont's career as a rock and roll concert promoter go back to the days of Alan Freed, so he's known his share of household-name performers over the years.

When I asked Mr. Belmont about Elvis, he replied, "I was hired by Colonel Parker to help and co-produce the Elvis Aloha Concert from Honolulu. I was with Elvis for about three days. I've known just about all the great Rock stars. Elvis was the nicest guy you could want to spend time with."

* * * 

One of my favorite Dylan albums for a while was New Morning. One of my favorite songs on that album was "Went to See the Gypsy." I liked the prancing piano riff that kicks it off. What I most remember at the time were rumors that the song was about Elvis. I'd never been to Minnesota at that point in my life, so the setting seemed foreign and could have been Anytown USA, but having lived here four decades now it sparkles like home when Dylan sings, "in that little Minnesota town."

The entire song is fun, conveying a sense of playfulness. In describing the Elvis character (if that is the case) Dylan sings, "He smiled when he saw me comin' and he said, "Well, well, well." I can picture it.

Dylan was not shy about his admiration for Elvis. He was once quoted as saying: “The highlight of my career? That’s easy, Elvis recording one of my songs.” 

 

Related Links

A Rewarding Visit with Charlie McCoy, A Hero of Nashville's A-Team

Can You Guess Which Dylan Songs Elvis Presley Sang?

George Barris, the King of Kustomizers

The Impact of Elvis Presely's Death on Bob Dylan


No comments:

Popular Posts