Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Fascinating A.I. Apps Produce Striking Images

 These images were collaborations 
between myself and a pair of A.I. programs.


Initially I was going to simply publish these as a Wordless Wednesday post but after sleeping on it I decided it needed a little explanation.

The two programs work differently. With Photoleap, you import a photo 
from your device and manipulate it. (example at right) The program is relatively easy to use and can produce some interesting effects. I have the app on my phone. The program Dream by WOMBO uses human input in the form of prompts. You type words into the Prompt box, select one of numerous "styles" and hit CREATE. The art styles range from Floral, Diorama or Spectral to Surreal, Pandora, Daydream or Mystical. Many other options are here.

Currently I'm trying to determine how this will all be used. Initially, I suspect 
these kinds of programs will be used to amaze friends on social media. I'm guessing that there will be artists using these kinds of programs in unusual ways and that there may be controversies generated by critics  who say the results are not art. The WOMBO program includes the ability to make NFTs out of your creations, not unlike the current NFT commerce taking place. (Here's an NFT webpage that directly squares off with this issue:
Is This Art?  (https://www.niftygateway.com/collections/isthisart)

In the last century we saw how technology and machines replaced blue collar workers. Today the question being asked is how much will today's A.I. advances impact white collar workers? In certain fields, who needs "great writing" when all that the reader wants is the information? In the realm of illustration, the most eyeball-catching images can be generated in seconds. In a world where "efficiency" reigns, there will be undoubtedly be illustrators sidelined.

Where do you think all this is going? What are the questions A.I. Art raises for you? Leave a comment.

No comments:

Popular Posts