Thursday, December 7, 2023

There's a New Art & Gift Shop in Town: Rabbit, Bird and Bear Fine Art & Gifts

This week I learned of a new Art & Gift Shop in Downtown Duluth:  Rabbit, Bird & Bear Fine Art & Gifts. The shop is next to Hanabi at 114 First Avenue West, a stone's throw from Joseph Nease Gallery on First Street.

I have been a longtime follower and fan of the work of Michelle LeBeau, owner/CEO who was Executive Director for AICHO for 13 years. 

"We opened our first shop in Cornucopia WI at Ehlers General Store until the Sept 15th -- we had a hugely successful time there, but it was only a seasonal shop so we decided to open a shop in Duluth," LeBeau said. "We closed down in Corny on the 7th and opened in Duluth on the 15th."

LeBeau previously 

Noteworthy work by Moira Villiard who continues to impress.
worked with AICHO staff to create the art galleries and Indigenous First gift shop. Her background includes 47 years in leadership roles in various non-profits here in Duluth including Women's Coalition (Safehaven), Women's Transitional Housing, Women in Construction and finally AICHO.  

"I retired in January 2023 and after a month was so bored that I knew I had to start working again.  I was in Red Cliff visiting Rabbett Strickland and the idea came to open a gallery in Bayfield. At the time I couldn't find available space so luckily found the spot in Cornucopia -- once I decided to open a shop," LeBeau explains. "I reached out to all the artists I had been working with the past 15 years and invited them to be a part of the new gallery. Everyone I reached out to was very happy to be part of a new shop."

As it turns out, while in Cornucopia LeBeau met additional artists that have now become part of her shop here in Duluth. 

"Avery Makes Room For Them is our gift shop coordinator -- he worked previously at Les Kendall's Smokehouse and Indigenous First. Avery is an artist in his own right.  I had a lot of help from my family and Avery setting the shop up so it went really smoothly."  

Michelle's son, Zach, is also an artist the store carries. "He makes custom knives and his partner Kim Nordin sells her jewelry in the shop. My grandson, Stone, named the shop," she said. "I feel very lucky to have had the support of my family and all the artist's we represent.  Our start-up loan came from NE Entrepreneur Fund."

LeBeau intends to open a second location in Washburn WI at the Washburn Cultural Center in June 2023. "We also have a space in Bayfield that will open this January."  

FOR MORE INFORMATION, including hours:


No comments:

Popular Posts