Friday, December 16, 2016

Something Beautiful: Fields of Gold

I'm not sure when I first heard Eva Cassidy sing Sting's Fields of Gold. I only know it made an impression.

As I was listening to the Joan Baez channel on Pandora tonight this song came along and made me think of some of her other recordings including Somewhere Over The Rainbow and Kathy's Song, the poignant epitome of elegance.

She was born in 1963 and was gone 33 years later, victim to melanoma. Her posthumously released recordings have sold ten million copies worldwide.


Fields of Gold

You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley
You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky as we walk in fields of gold
So she took her love for to gaze awhile upon the fields of barley
In his arms she fell as her hair came down among the fields of gold

Will you stay with me, will you be my love among the fields of barley?
We'll forget the sun in his jealous sky as we lie in fields of gold
See the west wind move like a lover so upon the fields of barley.
Feel her body rise when you kiss her mouth among the fields of gold

I never made promises lightly and there have been some that I've broken
But I swear in the days still left we'll walk in fields of gold
We'll walk in fields of gold

Many years have passed since those summer days among the fields of barley
See the children run as the sun goes down among the fields of gold
You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold
When we walked in fields of gold, when we walked in fields of gold

* * * *

May your own life be enriched by a song this evening, or a dream.

No comments:

Popular Posts