Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Almost Wordless Wednesday: Frank Holmes Studio Tour

Imagine what it would have been like to spend an afternoon in the studio of Pablo Picasso, Dali or Matisse. Now think about this. When my peers and I were in art school at college in the early 70s, many of the 1950's artists whom we'd adopted as new heroes were actually still painting, still producing, still active in their studios. Warhol, Larry Rivers, Richard Diebenkorn, Robert Rauschenberg -- these guys were going for another two and three decades after I finished school. What would have happened had I tracked them down and asked to see what they were up to?

Well, yesterday I had an opportunity to visit the studio (or studios) of a pair of artists who I consider equal to any of these masterful artists. The only difference is in name recognition. Today and the next few weeks I plan to share photos from my visit to the studio/home of Frank Holmes and Jill Mackie, lifelong artists whose work has inspired many and hangs in the four corners of the world... or at least, the globe's farthest reaches.

I have written about each before, and will begin with Frank, a painting instructor I met while in Ohio University before he won the Prix de Rome in 1973. (Links at the bottom of the blog post.)



A chief source of inspiration for Holmes.



Detail from Big Date. (see link below)

In the Studio, Frank & Jill
NEXT WEEK: A Jill Mackie Studio Tour

RELATED LINKS
Frank Holmes' "Big Date"
A Most Unusual Portrait: The Sarcophagus by Frank B. Holmes
The Ohio Theater Project

In addition to his own ongoing explorations, Frank Holmes continues to produce commission work for clients around the world.

No comments:

Popular Posts