Thursday, January 7, 2021

Twin Ports Art 2021, The January Effect

 


Let's start with a poem about January by William Carlos Williams.

Again I reply to the triple winds
running chromatic fifths of derision
outside my window:
Play louder.
You will not succeed. I am
bound more to my sentences
the more you batter at me
to follow you.
And the wind,
as before, fingers perfectly
its derisive music. 

* * * 

Chirps
The other day I received an email from Esther Piszczek with this month's Twin Ports Art for January and I promptly lost it. Or perhaps I was distracted. After two days of procrastination I am finally getting around to posting this. 

North House Folk School had a week long virtual film fest which ends tonight with High Steel by Julian Biggs.

On Saturday, January 9, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Nice Girls of the North will be open for business. Social distancing will be in effect, but the door will be open.

Saturday, January 9, 1-3 p.m. The Nordic House will host Teri Glembin's A Dala A Day. You can read Brian Barber's Selective Focus to learn more. 

Here's an entry about something the Duluth Art Institute is doing:

DAI: Art in Bloom: Send Love. Send Art.
"Connect to your friends and loved ones by sending original art. The Duluth Art Institute offers a unique opportunity to say "I'm thinking about you." DAI Art In Bloom is here to support artists and connection to each other until we can all be together again. Peruse our list of artist's websites with work ranging $20 to $150. Consider sending stunning artwork from these beautifully curated collections. You'll be supporting artists and giving a gift that lasts forever. 100% of the profits go directly to the artists. The artist will mail the original artwork to the recipient with a special note."

Here is the DAI Website with more information about exhibits and things.

* * *

After years of running hither and yon to attend as many art events as possible, I've found this past year of semi-hibernation to be appealing in some ways. I am enjoying the solitude, appreciating the more leisurely approach to life that I'd forgotten exists for many people. In some ways it feels a little like college life, except then we were looking forward more while people told us to live in the now. 

Alas. 

Be sure to visit the Twin Ports Art Blog for January to see what else is happening. 

* * *
Always a lot of cool art to enjoy and purchase at Art on the Planet.

And finally, more poems about January:

No comments:

Popular Posts