Monday, December 27, 2021

Most Popular Blog Posts of 2021 at Ennyman's Territory--Chiefly Dylan, Though Other Themes Emerged

County commissioners made a 
proclamation on Dylan's 80th birthday.
By year's end he was on tour again.
It's that time of year again, a time for looking back at the year now past in order to prepare for the year ahead. Once again, the Grateful Dead have given us a few lines to describe our mutual experience of these past two years. I'll select this one: "What a long strange trip it's been." 

Clint Eastwood's The Good, the Bad and the Ugly comes to mind as well. As regards Ennyman's Territory....

The Good: I didn't quit at the end of 2020 when I became depressed about it all I was greatly encouraged by a few reader friends who seemed surprised that I would even consider quitting. 

Also in the "Good" category... the blog passed the 3 million pageviews milestone in November. Thank you. You (readers) are the reason I keep trying to produce content that is interesting, thought-provoking or relevant. 

The Bad: These are intertwined. This spring I found myself in a predicament. Facebook began banning my blog URL so that I could no longer share my blog content there. The stated reason: violation of community standards. When I dug into this and attempted to get a clarification, I could not reach a human being, but did get an explanation. Supposedly, the Facebook "content police" said I was a Bot, the implication being that because I posted regularly every day since 2007 I must be a machine. 

Two days later I was also banned on Instagram, which is owned by FB. On both Facebook and Instagram I could still read others' posts, but on Instagram I was unable to "like" the artwork of the artists I followed there, nor could I post any of my own photos.

The Instagram situation resolved itself in about six to eight weeks, but Facebook was still a thorn. It was suggested I go to the forums on Facebook and take up my case there. Over a period of a month I made a couple attempts to interact with a Facebook human, and by summer had a breakthrough. A Facebook staffer responded to my "problem" and said my blog links were being blocked because either (a) I was perceived as a spammer, or (b) someone reported me. 

When I pursued this so as to learn who made the accusation or why, the person replied, "This discussion is closed."  

The Ugly: Well, since 2010 a primary subject for my blog content had been the local Twin Ports art scene. Few, if any, of the artists who followed my blog on Facebook were also followers on Twitter. Because the people I wanted to reach through my blog were not accessible, my motivation was undercut. Incentives matter, and I lost my motivation to go over-the-top to cover what was happening. 

In truth, two years of pandemic has caused a very definite curtailment of art openings and events... Artists are still making art, and sharing on social media, but it is a very different social experience from the evolving scene of the past dozen years.

The Workaround: For what it's worth, this fall I shut down my ennyman.com blog and created a springboard so that when I post ennyman.com on Facebook, the reader gets forward to the most recent blog post at Ennyman's Territory. It's clumsy, but it works. (Thank you, Cirina.)

Alas, it's time for the Ten Most Popular Blog Posts of 2021 at Ennyman's Territory. Drumroll please........

10

Artists Take to the Streets... To Make Snow Sculptures. Plus a Link to Art in February


9


Michael Lewis' Tribute to Coach Fitz

8

San Francisco's School Renaming Spree Would Be Funny If They Weren't Serious

7

French Artist Claude-Angèle Boni Explains Two Dylan-Inspired Treasures

6

Bob Dylan's Shadow Kingdom: Swoons for Many, a Letdown for a Few

5

Official Poster and Finalized Schedule for Duluth Dylan Fest 2021

4

Dylan On Loneliness: References A-Plenty, Sorrows Run Deep

3

Mr. Dylan Spent Some Time Watching the River Flow During the Pandemic (Milwaukee Concert Review & More)

2

Dylan Lines in 4/4 Time: A Trivia Contest for the Super Fans

1

Winter Dance Party: 62 Years Ago Today Bob Dylan Saw Buddy Holly Here at The Historic Duluth Armory

The Armory board had something to shout about in 2021.
After 20 years of preparations, the dream of a renovation
took another step forward. Story here.

Thank you to everyone who has visited these past 14 years... 
May your 2022 be our best year ever.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I WISH A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO THE ENNYMAN BLOG! IT IS SO ABUNDANT PLENTYFUL INTERESTING AND UNBIASSED. COMPLIMENTS TO ED! LONG LIFE TO THE BLOG!

Popular Posts