Monday, July 19, 2021

Bob Dylan's Shadow Kingdom: Swoons for Many, a Letdown for a Few

Sunday evening fans from around the world saw Bob Dylan's first "concert" since the end of 2019. The event was called Shadow Kingdom, which turned out to not be a concert in any conventional way but more like a series of dreamlike David Lynch produced MTV videos of Dylan performing many of his early classics in a gritty village cafe.

The show was slated to begin at the top of the hour, but the show's producers did something wise. The had a clock ticking for ten minutes to allow viewers to fix they audio and video setups, lest they be annoyed at their inability to catch the first song. It also allowed those who may be fashionably late (haha, who is late to a Dylan concert?) to get set up for the opening number.

Along the right hand side of the screen there was a scrolling "chat" window in which people from all over the world could send greetings or make comments. There were some early on making critical comments, much like drunks in row three at a Philadelphia concert during his "Saved" tour. 

These spicy remarks were the minority, subsumed in the commentary that went like this:

no signal
sounds impeccable
This is historic
Viva Cuba Libre
in black and white not great
Now he's on it
Unique
Anyone need a smoke?
I'm enjoying it
Loving the shirt
His Face
I can feel the emotion
VIBES
 >>>What was it you wanted?  
  I am crying               
Beautiful
Best song so far
WOW
I will Bobby
love love love this arrangement
OMG I'm crying now
I'm crying too
Like how the set looks like a party
It's weed for sure
Down in front
The Best Dylan show ever

>>>>Wicked Messenger 
 
His most underrated album
Bob 2024
This is my Pandemic Cure
Mobius Bob

I must have that jacket
The LEGEND Lives
Bob Dylan my heart belongs to you
More
Bronx Here
His shoes WOW
Too Short
Perfect
Ehhh
Brilliant
I want more
Thanks Bob

* * *

In response to the person who said they didn't like it being in black and white: Do you think Citizen Kane should have been in color? Would Casablanca have been a better film in color? This Shadow Kingdom was indeed a shadowy realm with real ambience. This ambience was masterful, and actually conveyed a little of Casablanca's mystery and suspense.

The idea of a ticking clock to pass the time during those first ten minutes was actually pretty clever. It served as a nice audio check and gave those first tuning in a few minutes to get everything set up.

Another complaint that I saw scroll up the screen went like this. I think some people wanted to have the "big venue Bob" with an energized tight band rockin' it out. This complaint, too, seemed silly. Consider the venue, dude. An intimate venue like that requires a different kind of performance from what you might expect at the Beacon in New York. 

The concert began with When I Paint My Masterpiece, and the tenderness of vocals was immediately apparent. Following this we heard You Go Your Way and I'll Go Mine. Between songs there was a fade out overlaid with a fade in to new visuals and each time Bob had a different outfit on, which got lots of comments in the chat feed.

Each song had been delivered in an altogether new form, which is once again a Dylan trademark it seems. 

Queen Jane was superbly rendered and was probably the point at which I began to feel something special was happening. The first songs were well done, but my critical observational self was trying to process what was happening rather than just getting into it. Other songs I especially enjoyed included an exceptional What Was It You Wanted from Oh Mercy, Pledging My Time, Watching the River Flow, and Tombstone Blues.

I'm sure there will be plenty written about it. The ending felt abrupt and unexpected for me. For some reason I thought it was going to be a two hour show. The best part is that people can watch it again for two more days.  Five times, or ten, if you wish. 

It must have been fun to be part of the band, even if you were masked and anonymous.

* * * 

One last thought. In a public speaking class our instructor once made a statement that struck a chord with me. "It is better to go ten minutes too short than two minutes too long." The point being, leave them wanting more. 

There was a lot of gratitude expressed at the end. "Thank you, Bob" messages were arriviing from around the world. And yes, we're always wanting more.

2 comments:

Ed Newman said...

This email was just sent out to everyone who had a ticket to this event:
Hey everyone - We hope that you enjoyed Bob Dylan - Shadow Kingdom. Due to popular demand, the re-watch period has been extended. Shadow Kingdom will now expire at 11:59PM PT on Sunday, July 25. You may continue to access your ticket and view the show until then, as many times as you wish. Enjoy!

Nice.

Unknown said...

This is a great report Ed You wrote exactly what it takes to make people who didn't buy a ticke regreting it bitterly! (sorry for my syntax)
yesterday I tried to connect to veeps early in the afternoon though I was supposed to connect a 8H59 AM an Miracously it worked! I saw the show for the second time...I could not believe it! I think I'm gonna try again today! like a hungry woman from Rue Morgue Avenue...

Popular Posts