Saturday, July 17, 2021

Yellow Bird Fine Art Spreads Its Wings In Downtown Duluth, But First -- FISHNETSTOCKINGS at JNG

I was in the neighborhood of the Tweed Museum this afternoon and found it to be still closed until fall, so I headed to Joseph Nease Gallery to see what's new there as things begin to open up. There was an artist's talk Thursday that I missed but as a Joellyn Rock fan I knew I'd have to visit. soon to see a couple new Jonathan Thunder paintings and the collaborative interactive installation FISHNETSTOCKINGS.

While discussing various aspects of the work with Joseph Nease I learned that the Yellow Bird Fine Art gallery of Grand Marais was having an Open House this afternoon for a second loacation here in Duluth. Naturally, I was heading over there, as it is located within walking distance from the JNG, in the space formerly occupied by Art in the Alley. 


It was nice to see the unmasked smiles and to meet the co-owner and curator. The Yellow Bird will be a nice addition to the Duluth's downtown arts district. 

Tomorrow I will share some of the work I saw displayed at Yellow Bird Fine Art, Duluth. Here are some snaps from FISHNETSTOCKINGS. The primary creators of this installation are Joellyn Rock and Alison Aune, both of whom I have followed with enthusiasm for many years, plus computer scientist Pete Willemsen. 

The work is a mashup of art, design, historical references, folk patterns and story frags plucked from the project's Twitter feed. There's a QR code on the handout that you can use to add your own imaginative contributions.

To learn more about this mermaid story and the project visit this FISHNETSTOCKINGS link or https://joellynrock.com/portfolio/fishnetstockings/


* * * 
Below are the two new paintings by Jonathan Thunder


The Joseph Nease Gallery is located 
at the corner of First Avenue East and First Street

No comments:

Popular Posts