Friday, June 17, 2022

A 10-Question Trivia Contest to Celebrate the 15th Anniversary of Ennyman's Territory

Not sure where we're headed, but I'm
on the road to find out.
Today is the 15th anniversary of my first blog post, "One Small Step for a Man, One Giant Leap..." I had no idea that I'd still be writing almost daily 15 years later. There have been a few times I almost quit. Then I wake up the next day and have something I want to share or say, and there we go again.

To celebrate this milestone I'd create a trivia contest in which the answers can be found in previous blog posts I've written. No, you do not have to search through all 5415 blog posts to find them. You'll find the answers by following links at the end of this page.

Over the years I've had a chance to interview hundreds of very interesting people. One author used our published interview to secure a contract with Doubleday for a follow up to his first book. When I wrote about the song "Wichita Lineman" I got an email from the wife of Jimmy Webb, the great songwriter who wrote it. I've corresponded with people from all seven continents. 

I'm always grateful for the writers, artists and musicians who have given me the opportunity to share their stories. Regular readers know I also like to review films and recommend books (So many books, so little time!!!) ...and all things Dylan.

Anyways, if you're up for it, here's the quiz. The first Fifteen people who send me the correct answers I will send you an original Newmanesque doodle or drawing of some kind. Send your answers to ennyman3 [AT] gmail.com

Thanks for playing.  

Saddleback Mountain, Monterrey Mexico, 1981.

1
. Who was the "Joe" referred to in the statement, "Say it ain't so, Joe." 

2. The abbreviation fad purportedly began in 1838 in Boston, but soon spread to New York and New Orleans, thus was the expression O.K. born. What was the name of the president who borrowed the fad term and applied it to himself. His nickname was Old Kinderhook, because he came from Kinderhook, New York.

3. On June 14, 1838, Isaac Fischer Jr. of Springfield, Vermont, patented what product that continues to be useful for carpenters?

4. Since the Golden Gate Bridge was built in 1933, people attempt suicide on average every 16 days. Out of all those years of suicide jumps, how many people had survived as of 2019?

5. A Belgian built electric car called "La Jamais Contente" was able to achieve what speed in 1899?

6. What is the name of the famous stand up comedian whose autobiography was titled Born Standing Up?

7.  In the early part of WW2, the Nazi Blitzkrieg was so swift that France fell in how many weeks?

8. Graham Greene was one of my favorite authors for a spell, a superb writer of many books that became films. One of these was The Third Man. Who was the actor who played the role of Harry Lime?

9. During the first half of the 20th century this poet, writer, satirist and critic wrote a poem about loneliness titled Bric-a-Brac. What was her name? 

10. He was the first Secretary-General of the United Nations. His book, Markings, is a collection of notes, poems, philosophical musings, insights on life and the challenges of being human in the modern world. What was his name?

Paquita. A young girl at the Casa de Niños, Monterrey. 1981

ANSWERS can be found in the following past blog posts.

1. Field of Dreams and Memories 

2. Where Did OK Come From?

3. Today in History, June 14

4. A Lesson from the Golden Gate Suicide Attempts

5. Gas Taxes and Electric Cars

6. Born Standing Up

7. Miscellaneous Notes from Recent Readings

8. Two Film Noir Favorites

9. Bric-a-Brac

10. Markings

Thanks for sharing the journey.

No comments:

Popular Posts