Thursday, July 30, 2026

Throwback Thursday: Four Ishiguro Book Reviews and a Bonus Track

Like most avid readers I read when I can, and never as much as I'd like. In 2010 I carried around with me a borrowed Spring 2008 edition of The Paris Review, chiefly with the purpose of reading a fascinating interview with Kazuo Ishiguro, author of Remains of the Day, which I then wrote about here.   


Kazuo Ishiguro is a Japanese-born British novelist and one of the most acclaimed contemporary writers in English literature. He won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2017 for works that, in the Swedish Academy’s words, uncover “the abyss beneath our illusory sense of connection with the world.” The first time I wrote about him here was in 2010

A 3-Day Ride with Ryder: Ishiguro’s The Unconsoled Is an Achievement of the First Order
When a world-famous pianist returns home to perform an important concert, he is forced to come to terms with who he really is. Ishiguro’s The Unconsoled has the feel of a cross between Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland and the magical realism of Jorge Luis Borges. Like each of these authors, he has created a work that defies categorization.
https://pioneerproductions.blogspot.com/2019/04/a-3-day-ride-with-ryder-ishiguros.html

In Awe of Ishiguro's The Buried Giant
The novel takes place in England in that period after the passing of King Arthur. The story follows an elderly married couple, Axl and Beatrice, who for some reason cannot remember their past, or rather, the memories they've lost touch with are hazy and dark.

https://pioneerproductions.blogspot.com/2020/08/in-awe-of-ishiguros-buried-giant.html

Ishiguro Again Shows His Mastery: Never Let Me Go
There's something special about the students living at Hailsham, a boarding school in England. At first we don't know what's so special about this school, and neither do the children who grow up there, but eventually a little light streams in and we learn that these children are here for a purpose.

https://pioneerproductions.blogspot.com/2020/09/ishiguro-again-shows-his-mastery-never.html

Ishiguro's Klara Is Apparently No Fiction
Ishiguro demonstrates once again why he is considered one of the great writers of our time. The English language has a shortage of superlatives to describe the power of his prose, so I shan't even attempt it. 

https://pioneerproductions.blogspot.com/2021/07/ishiguros-klara-and-sun-is-another.html

Interview with David Asch Offers Insights On A.I.
Klara and the Sun is about A.I. and David Asch's review demonstrated his deeper understanding of the current status of Artificial Intelligence and where it is headed. I asked permission to pick his brain on this topic and he graciously accepted.

https://pioneerproductions.blogspot.com/2021/10/interview-with-david-asch-offers.html


Have you read Ishiguro's work? What is your favorite novel of his? Please share it in the comments.

No comments:

Popular Posts