Monday, November 19, 2018

Lego® Crayons: The Down Home Creator's Latest Crayon Creations


I don't know if it's the water, but there sure is a lot of creativity around here. Susie is forever coming up with new ideas, in part as an outgrowth of her volunteer work with children since her own creative kids grew up. Her latest idea was to make crayons using molds. Here are a few examples--Legos, puzzle pieces, flowers and critters, or whatever they be. I thought it best to let Susie tell the story here in her own words.

The Story and Symbolism Behind Crayons

EN: What is the Damiano Kids Kitchen and how did you get involved?

These are crayons, not Legos.
Susie Newman: Damiano Center began as a soup kitchen in 1982, and has since expanded into various other programs to try to meet the many needs in the community. One of the programs is Kids' Kitchen, a drop in center which emphasizes nutrition education for kids. They have an organic garden there during the summer, and provide other activities such as art.

In July, while in an art sale I met an amazing 83-year-old woman, "Grandma Nancy," who really liked my paper art. She has been a long time volunteer at Kids' Kitchen but was running out of art project ideas. I said I was brimming with ideas but had run out of an audience of kids to do them with since my mentees from Mentor Duluth have grown up. So we struck up a friendship and are now doing art together with kids there. It's such a perfect fit for my interests! I have long been a vegetable gardener, interested in healthy food, and an artist who especially enjoys working with kids who have not had so many advantages in their lives.

EN: What is it that has gotten you so excited about this crayon project?

Susie: Kids' Kitchen had been given a large donation of a huge box of crayons, which were all only red, blue, yellow and green. They were about to get thrown away as they were not being used. I had an idea. I had seen cute silicone molds of various shapes. I also found that with some mixing and melting and using my background knowledge of tints and shades I could come up with a wider variety of colors. To me this all seemed symbolic. Some kids who may not have had many advantages in their lives could be seen by our society as "throw aways" but with some creativity and effort they might become something pretty cool!

EN: Do these Lego crayons work just like real crayons?

Susie: They do! Just the shape is different.

EN: They look like great stocking stuffers. Where can people buy them?

Susie: They were a hot item at a craft/art sale I was recently in. They are a fundraiser for Damiano Kids' Kitchen and all proceeds will go to them.

I will have them at a sale at Peace Church on Dec. 1st, at a holiday sale at Oldenburg House on Dec. 7th, and a Down Home Creators Holiday Sale at our home on Dec. 15th. Or you can contact me directly at downhomecreator AT gmail.com.

EN: Anything else you wish to add?

Susie: A thank you to Grandma Nancy for generously covering the expenses of this project, and to friends who have helped cut paper off crayons.

Learn more about the work of the Damiano Center in Duluth's Central Hillside. Visit https://www.damianocenter.org/programs

Lego® Crayons, by Susie
Puzzle pieces that you can color with as well.

And other designs as well to color your world.
All proceeds from the sale of these crayons 
goes to support Kids’ Kitchen at Damiano Center.
Meantime art goes on all around you. Get into it.

No comments:

Popular Posts