Thursday, November 29, 2018

Robert Llilegard and the Duluth Grill Cook Books: A of Pair Delicious Projects

One of my favorite Yogi Berra-isms is, "No one eats there any more because it's too crowded." Truth be told, we still love to eat there. We just pick a time when we believe it won't be as crowded as usual. (By "there" I mean the Duluth Grill, of course.)

In the old days, before it was even an Embers, it was a place where people met friends to smoke cigarettes, drank coffee and complain about the weather. Eventually it became part of the Embers franchise, but didn't change all that much, until Tom and Jaima Hanson took hold of it and gave it a shake. It's hard to believe what an influence "vision" can impart. Today the Duluth Grill is a model of community service and influence.

At its heart is a commitment to locally grown, and Green values. They have gardens on the grounds and on the roof. They are serious about their values. The artwork on the walls is local as well, supporting the local arts scene in a variety of ways. A few years ago one of my paintings at Pineapple Arts was sold, but they did not say who the buyer was. A few months later I saw my Man with a Hooked Nose on the wall at Duluth Grill.

This spring I noticed it was moved. Then I learned it was sold so someone from Japan. Fun!

Tom Hanson has since opened two new restaurants in the Lincoln Park district, each distinctive and each quickly embedded in the life of the community.

Another member of this community who is connected to the Duluth Grill story is Robert Lillegard, a writer and entrepreneur, co-owner of Duluth's Best Bread and founder of Be Our Guest PR. Lillegard paired up with photographer Rolf Hagberg to produce a Duluth Grill Cook Book which sold well enough to encourage Tom Hanson to produce a sequel. I wanted to learn more about this aspect of Lillegard's creative endeavors, having first met him through the Twin Ports Social Media Breakfast where he has been a speaker.

EN: How long had you been writing about food before you wrote the first Duluth Grill Cook Book?

Robert Lillegard: When I was 8, I wrote in a journal about trying my first "omlit" on the airplane. My career sort of took off from there.

EN: What’s the backstory on the Duluth Grill Cook Book? How did you come to hook up with Tom Hanson (owner of Duluth Grill) to take on this project?

RL: I had written about the Grill for several magazines and Tom asked if I would be interested in doing a cookbook. The wheels began to turn...

EN: There are a number of talented photographers in the Northland? Did Tom put you and Rolf together or had you worked with Rolf previously?

RL: Rolf worked for Duluth~Superior Magazine and I always liked his work, so I figured he'd be the guy to partner with. Turns out I was right.

EN: The book is delightfully visual. How much were you involved in page design and layout?

RL: I designed everything myself. Wait, is designer Rick Kollath going to see this? If so, let's put that he designed it. My main role was arguing that the photos should be bigger. Call me a rube, but I like big food photos.

EN: You also did a second cook book for Duluth Grill. Have you done other cook books?

RL: The Copper Hen Cookbook

EN: You once described the process doing fast turnaround books. These obviously require many more decisions. How long did the first take from start to finish?

RL: Just over a year.

EN: If a restaurant wanted to reach to perhaps do a project like this, what would be your process for making it happen?

RL: First we talk about who you are as a restaurant and what you stand for. We also take an honest look at your platform, because if you're tiny, you won't have enough people buying your book to make it worth it. Then we gather recipes, interview you and write some background information, and bring in a photographer to take pictures. We design it and print it and then it's time to market and sell it!

I'm at robert@beourguestpr.com and www.beourguestpr.com

Related Links
Duluth Grill: Getting Noticed 
Minnesota's Top Breakfast Restaurant. Go team!

No comments:

Popular Posts