Tuesday, June 6, 2023

The Teatro Farnese in Parma, Italy

When I visited Parma my AirBnB was directly across the street from the National Gallery. I loved Parma and as I look through my photos I see that I still have so much to share. This blog entry is but an introduction to the Teatro Farnese, which is now preserved inside the Palazzo della Pilotta where the National Gallery is located. The theater is one of three grand Renaissance theaters still in existence today. 

The theater was built in 1618. At the time of its construction it was considered one of the most advanced theaters in Europe. The impetus for creating this grand theater came from the Duke of Parma and Piacenza Panucci I Farnese. The Teatro Farnese was used for operas (Parma is famous for its love of opera), plays, and ballets. It was also used for political events, including the wedding of Ranuccio II Farnese and Margherita de' Medici in 1628. The theatre was also used for private events, such as banquets and parties.

The theatre was almost destroyed by an Allied air raid during World War II (1944). Eventually rebuilt, it reopened in 1962 and is still in use today.

One of the nearby restaurants is called the Farnese.
Brenda was my server. And the meal was very good.


All photos on this page are my own except the one at the top of the page by www.bestofcinqueterre.com - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0

No comments:

Popular Posts